Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of us use our vintage Mustangs as primary, daily transportation. Sunny weekends don't count (so I'm out). I'm talking about rain, sitting still in heavy rush-hour traffic, narrow parking slots between SUVs, picking up the kids from school, and counting on the vintage AC to keep us cool all summer.

I used to be one of them, but went over to the "occasionally driven" crowd. But now I'm very seriously considering another all-weather '66 daily driver. Am I part of a diminishing crowd, or a growing one?

Thanks!

Dan66
66 Fastback, 289, Tahoe Turquoise,
Turq/White Pony, GT trim, 2nd owner

G

·
0 Posts
We put my son's 68 GT on the road last September here in SoCal. It is his DD.

"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD

G

·
0 Posts
my 66 coupe is my first and only car, of course im only 20 but hey. the only complaint is the fact that i have to park it all the time to paint, rebuild suspension, steering, etc. its not fun restoring a daily driver and i feel like i cant do as good a job because i get in a rush with everything. right now its parked for painting, but even though its my daily driver i try hard not to drive it much and im pretty paranoid about where i park it, like my friends ghetto apartment (wont go there with her) other than that its great and worth it cuz i luv the attention. the only other complaint is everyone and theyre grandmothers try and race me, but with me and my dads little homemade "HIPO" i guess its not really a complaint, it does get kinda old however, when i just feel like cruisin around and some eclipse comes barreling past me, or worse yet a mini van. but im learning to control the urge to throw it in second (or first) and put it to the floor. well sorry for the long reply

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I haul everything from bikes and lumber and plastic pipe on my bike rack to hydraulic cylinders in the trunk of my D-coder...so much so that my customers joke about strapping forklift steer axles onto the roof for me to take home...

The car goes camping and shopping and out on job quotes to the dirty, muddy West Side....

When it's home, it sits under a car cover either in the garage or on the driveway by the front door...

I don't drive it every day, but usually 2-3 times a week....last trip for a job followup and a parts delivery racked up about 100 miles in one trip....part of the price of living in the country...*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
I drive my '66 coupe(289, auto) on my daily commute (except in the winter). I put 200 miles a week on it. Just coming up on 300k miles. I'm getting ready for it's second restoration (you know, the one where you do it right!). The first time I did it in the original Arcadian blue (cheap Maaco, AAAH!) with blue standard interior. I added a white vinyl top and console, otherwise original.
My new resto will stray from original by going to signalflare or candyapple red (good urethane paint this time!) with a red/white pony interior. I'm redoing the suspension and tranny this time as well, got the engine rebuilt 2 yrs ago. After all this money put in to it, I'm still going to use it as my daily driver. Why have one if you can't enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I just bought a 67 convertible with the intention of making it my summer daily driver. i'm still in the process of selling my 98 sunfire convertible ($10,500 if anyone is interested) so i'm still driving both trying to get the sunfire some exposure.

Parking has me completly paranoid but so far i'm dealing with it and will always have an extra car to sacrifice to the airport parking gods.

Rain bothers me only a little, i got a good paste wax over the paint and have checked every drain hole to be sure it was clear of blockage and removed all caked on dirt in the wheel wells that would hold moisture for extended periods of time.

The car was not equipped with factory air and i'm having a an aftermarket r-134 system added (before any purist jumps on me for this look at your tires, if there not bias belted i don't want to hear from you).

I'm adding a new stereo today and plan to change over to electronic ignition and possibly disc brakes and fuel injection in the future. Still making me paranoid is the gauges don't seem to be accurate.

I'm a convertible lover. I shopped like crazy to find the right one. I got the sunfire last year and while it is a very good car, it just wasn't me. I'll be into the mustang 20k by the time its ready to be a daily driver but what could i have bought for the same money or even up to double the money that would be a better ride? Another advantage of the mustang is how easy it is to find parts for it. I needed to rebuild the carb, they had the rebuild kit in stock at the parts store.

motor

G

·
0 Posts
Both my 67' and my 68' are daily drivers. one or both of them get driven almost every day. The 67' is pretty much a stocker so it gets driven a little more often, its a lot quieter and rides a little better than the 68'. If its raining or snowing I will generally drive one of my Suburbans but the Mustangs do get driven in the rain occasionally. Its hard not to drive them, they really are fun to drive!

G

·
0 Posts
My Fastback has been my daily driver for the past 8 years. Prior to that I drove a 65 coupe daily for 9 years. We take our Windstar on trips, but I wouldn't hesitate to take my Fastback anywhere ('cept in heavy snow or ice that is).

67Fastback.com
http://www.digitalrice.com/sobeit/sideA.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Well, I guess mine's not a true complete daily driver. More of a "fair weather" daily driver. He gets covered up and off the salty New England roads for most of the winter, but pretty soon (if we don't get any more snow!) he'll be out doing daily driving duty until it snows again in December. Of course if there's big thunderstorm or it's really, really pouring, I borrow my grandfather's Taurus, which is also what I drive in the winter since he doesn't use it anymore. Now I need to save my money and try to replace that missing A/C to make things a little more pleasant in the summer!

Michelle (aka Mustang Shelly)
1968 GT 390 Fastback
http://mich_pc.boltpages.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lefbacsmall.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'm rebuilding my coupe for a Spring to Fall daily driver. No Winters allowed here, too much salt!

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

G

·
0 Posts
Everyday rain or shine I drive her to work.
Actually on the weekends she gets rest.
Unless we go to the beach then wife always likes to take her.

Drew
66' 289 2v, C-4, bench and a/c
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594736&a=12147274&p=44139589.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Presently, we're a two car family and I drive the `66 myself every day to work and back. Live in Cailf. so every day means all year every day. Others occasionally take it out, but the womenfolk don't care much for the manual drums and non-returning turn signal lever (unuable to remedy--to date).

White `66 coupe, 302 - C4 (TEDMAN, old VMF)
Just remember...wherever you go..there you are..buying gas again.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I drive 68 all the time, except for when there is heavy rain, I don't have A/C so the windows fog up and the 4 wheel drums don't stop too well in the rain.(college kids here, always scared of the instant stop in front of me). She is my daily transportation, especially since we bought our new car, I mean my wife's new car, she doesn't let me put "unnecessary" miles on it.....Whatever keeps her happy!!

RJ
68 Diamond Blue Coupe
Sprint Promotion A
289 2bbl with a C4

Click Here For Home Page

·
Registered
407 Posts
All day, every day. Neither sun nor rain, sleet nor snow (In Central Texas-yea right) shall keep my trusty steed from it's appointed rounds. It is the Hoofbeat of America (or at least Boerne Texas)!

G

·
0 Posts
Count me in.

> rain
don't care, it's heavily rust protected, we have at least a little rain 300 days a year;
> sitting still in heavy rush-hour traffic
try to prevent it, happens sometimes though;
> narrow parking slots between SUVs
try to find a good spot if possible;
>picking up the kids from school
have no kids;
>and counting on the vintage AC to keep us cool all summer
don't have one.

G

·
0 Posts
MY 68 coupe is my first car and is my daily briver. it goes everywhere. i drive it to school games partys cruising, and to work (deliveryboy for an italion restaraunt). just like everyone said before i hate parking sometimes especially when i see the people pull in, so i will take the extra time tofind a better spot or just double park. The only part i really would complain about is my leaking windshield in the rain, which in turn turns into my wet floor. But other than that i love haveing it as my daily driver.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Presently, it's my only car.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

'67 GTA (clone) coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

1 - 20 of 37 Posts