Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car History : Due to the discussion of Miles/Originality in a other post I am curious to know how many have done it? and how to do it? Beyond a Marti report. I think it would be interesting know what skeletons our cars have in their garages. ::

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The car's history is very difficult to trace, at least here in California. The only thing the DMV will give you is the current owner's name (which would be you), unless you are law enforcement, a licensed private investigator, or an attorney.

One of my cars (son's) we are the second owners of, so it's history is easy ... lived in Sacramento all it's life. We did get enough documentation with the car, to know 100% that it had 93,000 miles on the car when we bought it 3 years ago.

The rest, well, since there's hardly anything in them that I haven't replaced, the history is meaningless anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just did a title search on the Boss...I knew it was originally a Texas car. I got all info on owners back to 1979. No info on the original owner though.
Lots of info on the car being abandoned, reposessed, abandoned again....up to when the Dallas police confiscated it.
I do know that the original owner was in the service in 1971, orderd the car from overseas, picked it up in Dallas, TX and then drove it to El Paso...the bumper still had a FT Blis sticker on it when I got it.
Would have loved to find the original owner, but no luck.
At $15 - $20 each, going state to state for a title search isn't very economical, so I stopped after a few tries to find which state it was originally tagged in. Servicemen could tag their cars from their home states, not the state they were stationed in. Good luck

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
I didn't have to do it for my coupe other than retrieve all the original paperwork out of my mother's file cabinet a few years ago. :winkgrin:

As for my fastback, I have the police report on the previous owner's arson fire that he set in the car and the police report for when the car had been abandoned a year earlier by another owner. Because the previous owners do not seem to be the most savory characters, I've declined to pursue the matter any further.

I did order Ford 999 and Marti reports for both my cars, just out of curiosity for my coupe and to get the basic info for my fastback.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neat! It's amazing how these cars move around.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like trouble could tell some wild tails. :horror:Thanks for saving trouble from the crusher. I know how bad car fires can be.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
In the early 80's when I lived in Indiana
I owned a 73 Convertible and went to the DMV and
was able to get copies of all the titles
and therefore the owners names and addresses
all the way back to the certificate of origin
which shows the Ford dealer that sold it new.
I contacted one of the previous owners whose
daughter had driven it in High School. I drove
the car over to their house and they were very
happy to see it again. The girl told me that she
remembered skiping class with her friends and
taking a cruise in the car with the top down!
They also showed me a picture of it in which I found
out that it had a luggage rack on it at one time.
It was neat to be able to get the info but I can
sure understand why it is not available anymore.
I live in Ohio now and they print the previous
owners name on your Title so I was able to go back
a few owners on my 65 Fastback.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have some of the history on my K-code including the original owner's manual with the original owner's name. I also have several receipts going back several years and I have tried tracing the history through the shops. After this many years, however, the shop owner's don't remember much. I also have half a dozen trophies from various shows in the eighties. Most of the shows were in Texas and Louisiana with one show in Illinois. I have thought about posting some of the info. here to see if anyone might be able to help me.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was following the other thread to.It's amasing how many "experts" there are out there that are willing to give there opinions,but really don't have a clue.I have 3 unrestored 65's the latest has only 4574 miles on it.I have already put over 200 houre into cleaning it up and probably have 50-100 more to go before it is show ready.Keep in mind this is just cleaning..NO repainting.I have been able to piece together some of the cars history mainly through the little bit of paper work that came with the car.I got it from the third owners daugher and she didn't know anything about the car.The only paper work that came with the car was the original order sheet and copys of the titles and bills of sale.Also a couple of gas recipts I found when cleaning the car and a Jan 82 Mustang Times with a for sale add for the car.
The main thing is to let the car do the talking.Look at the date codes on the parts and look for wear paterns.And remember,somecars had things changed by the original owner when new...We still do it to new cars today.My 4574 mile car has had the muffler replaced the fuel pump replaced.Has Daton wire wheels that were dealer installed.It also had an aluminum belly pan and trim installed.My 10777 mile car had the rear shocks replaced with ajustables and the exhaust converted to duals.

·
Premium Member
5,145 Posts
I bought the 67 in 1975. I am the second owner. The car had 102,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has over 300,000 miles. Engine and tranny rebuilt in 1986 at 215,000 miles.(Timing chain jumped a tooth and bent all the exhaust valves.) It was my daily driver till 1990.
My dad bought the 68 in 1971. He was the second owner. As of this past summer I am the 3rd owner. This is the first car I ever drove. It has 120,000 miles. Engine has never been opened. Not a spot of rust (including the cowl). Car was flipped upside down ~ 1978 and sat in a warehouse for ~ 12 years. In ~ 1990 my dad had it repaired and repainted. It was orginally Acapulco Blue with a white C stripe. He painted it Wimbeldon White. Some day I plan to put it back original. Right now, the paint is too good to repaint it. I'm just working to clean it up really well and make sure everything is up to snuff mechanically...It's only been driven 900 miles in the past 10 years.
Dave

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
My 70 Mach has a 2" folder including the window sticker and original sales contract.

My K vert has nothing, nada, only that it has led a VERY had life, been wrecked numerous times, had everything but the kitchen sink replaced, and is currently dead dog ugly, hiding in the back corner of the garage. I bought it from a body shop who had a mechanic's lien on it. Paid $400 for the entire car. They had not a clue what a K 1966 convertible was worth, other than it was worth $400 in unpaid bills to them. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be nice if all our cars had that kind of history. Du bois PA.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have complete history of my Boss 302 including all owners and original ( Not repro) window sticker) all manuals and reciepts for all major and most minor work ever done on car along with DMV change of ownerships. Also all is documented in Registry as well.

My 65 and 68 I have no idea about and really doesn't matter as they take no resemblense of the original form anyway.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I can back up that Daves67ss cars are in great shape and he takes great care of them....it is very cool that both of the cars have been in his family for so long.

Like I've mentioned many times, my 1st Stang in '95 was a '68 GT 390 coupe. I purchased it in CT...it had been there sitting in a garage for about a year. Prior to that it had been in CA all its life. When I took ownership I was handed a huge manilla folder with a ton of receipts in it from past owners and work that had been done to the car. One owner from '88-92 (the car was pictured in Hot Rods Mustangs and Fords in '91) had the most receipts! One day I added them up and they totalled over $12K...everything under the sun seemed to be replaced at one time.
I was able to work my way back thru all the past owners except the guy who put the $12K into it...know his name and all but just couldn't find him! It was cool talking to the orig. owner...who owned it from '69 to '86! When I spoke to him in '95 he was around 75yrs old. He was amazed the car made it to NY! He told me he wasn't really the 1st owner b/c a Ford Exec. had ordered the car for his grandson or son and when the car was delivered the kid didn't want it!! So then the gentleman I spoke to purchased it off the lot. He sent me a really nice letter and pics of the car from '69 and '81 etc. I also got some nice letters and pics from other past owners. I put together a really nice display binder that I'd put out when I went to car shows and cruises. Still have the binder to this day....I look at it from time to time knowing someday I might buy the car back.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
i had a neigbor (cop) run a history on my car and gave me all of the owners, so i know the following:

The MSO states that title was transferred to Jones Ford in Jessup, GA on July 6, 1964 (weird my data plate says car was built 15G or July 15th)
my car was sold on October 22, 1964 to Robert Chris of Jacksonville, FL
July 16, 1969- the car was sold to robert bishop of clearwater florida
September 9th, 1974 - car was traded in to dimmit chevrolet in st petersburg and sold to Israel Ropiza
April 30, 1976 - car then transferred to Aubrey Hayslip who never completed the title transfer when she got rid of the car sometime in 1981.
i bought the car in september of 1993 from someone who was going to fix it up "someday"

funny thing about finding this information, i was in a wal-mart pharmacy when an older lady came in to get her script. i heard her say her name and it caught my ear - it was Aubrey Hayslip. i tapped her on the shoulder and asked if she remembered her 1965 mustang she bought some 20 years prior. she smiled a bit - realizing i wasnt some psycho - as i told her i now own her car. i think she changed her mind about me being psycho when i asked if she had any of the original paperwork in her house.. :) hey gotta try

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
my 73 mach 1 was ordered by a 30 something lady who was killed in another car accident, she had a young predriving age daughter who wanted to keep the car to drive when she turned 16, she developed lukemia and died right around her 16th birthday, her grandmother then ended up with the car---it sat for years last registered in the 90's and had a parade ribbon on the rearview. Sad story, the young girls name was amy, I found a keychain that had "amy" on it, I have kept it in my tool box.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
my 65 coupe I just bought this summer was a giveaway car at a new mall grand opening near chicago, the lady's name is in the owners manual, her daughter wrecked the car around 1975---I'm guessing it was totalled, front fenders were taken to a body shop by an uncle, the shop went under and he never got the fenders back, it then sat for 29 years in a garage where the guy I bought it from got it---(he was a motorcycle rebuilder) he decided he never was going to get to it so he ran a add and I bought it.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
No way to know with mine...

All I do know is it had a rough history in its previous life, was severely neglected to the point it became a beat up junker and was parked in a neigboring town for many years, rotting away. Then someone bought it and stripped all the good parts from it including the seats, drivers door and tranny. It still had the blown engine when I got it, and I didn't take the car till the guy replaced the stupidly scooped and ruined hood with something usable. Yeauchchhhh, what a POS I started out with!!!! :sick: I could write a long chapter on everything that was wrong with my car! In fact, I almost decided against restoring it and almost hauled it back to the crusher!!! Glad I didn't.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts