Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a late model GT vert for my daily driver. My wife bought a new Explorer last year so I am planning to get rid of my Explorer in favor of a few year old GT. Hopefully I can save a little money and have some fun. I am going to look at a 1995 tomorrow. I am kind of wanting the 5.0 instead of the 4.6. Any tips on what to look for? I'm a little familiar with these cars just because of reading the Mustang Mags for all these years...

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I bought my '94 GT Convertible three months ago and have had absolutley no problems with it. I was lucky enough to obtain all of the service records so I had an idea of its past. I opted for a '94 as apposed to a '96 and above because I too wanted to stay with the 5.0. I wouldnt say there is anything unusual you should look for that you wouldnt look for when buying any other car. Look for previous accidents, odometer roll back, condition of certain parts etc. etc.

BTW, If you go to www.carfax.com you can get as many free Vin # checks as you want within 30 days for $19.99. I found this help because I looked at quite a few cars before I bought.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well, I guess make sure it's a 5 speed car. I believe the 95 GT's were kind of slow in stock form. The car got porkier than the 93's, but I think the power stayed the same! Of course this can be taken care of if you have a few thousand you can play with to put some speed parts on it. If it's a 5.0, it definetely does not have to be slow!

Other than that, they're nice cars. They all need a good lowering in my opinion, but that's just because I'm not a fan of huge fendergaps. The other thing that looks kind of funny to me on these cars is that the rear wheels stick inside the fenders too far. Don't know how you could not change the front track, and widen the rear without using spacers or something, but if it were my car it would bother me so much I'd have to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have a 95 and love it. I drive her hard and take good care and she is still a great car.
Check for cracks in the hood (paint) about 4 inches from the leading edge. Had a problem with warped rotors. check the top for brittleness as they are expensive to replace. Just do normal looks at wear items
to see how it was treated. I have 128,000 miles and the only way you can tell it the volume
button is a bit worn and the plastic front and rear parts are beginning to fade. I live in Texas so
the sun gets everything eventually.
It is still a bit of a Wow car and have little kids say they are going to get one just like it when they get big.
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
My wife has a 96 GT vert and just ordered a 03 Mach 1. I've had a 5.0 and a 4.6 and they are both great engines, especially for daily drivers.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Sold my 2000 GT last year. Really liked that car. Don't shy away from the 4.6s, especially the 99+. Kid that bought my GT just ran 13.4 at the track with very few bolt ons. The later GTs are nice cars all around, you can have a ton of fun with them. Though the seats seemed like they belonged in a Lincoln Town Car.

The 94/95 GTs are dogs and take more work than the earlier fox bodies to make them quick. Also consider the 96+ Cobras (though they seem to hold value really well).

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Tim, I had a '96 GT vert and we now have a '02 GT coupe. I loved the '96, but it was a lemon with numerous problems. If you read the consumer reports they tell you to stay away from the '96 for various reasons. I have a friend with a '98 with 100k+ miles with no problems and another with a '97 GT vert with little or no problems..

I understand wanting the 5.0, but don't shy away from the 4.6 if you find a good deal on one, they can run very well, especially the '99 and up. Our 2002 runs very strong /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. We'll have it at the NTMC birthday party at AER Thursday if you want a test drive /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Just bought a 96 GT. Every option. It's my new commuter car (90 mi/day).
I enjoy the smoothness of the 4.6 sohc, although you trade a bit of bottom end torque compared to a 5.0.
So I get to rev to 6K, my buddy with a 5.0 is all done at just over 5K. Ya, he can rev more but why bother? It just buzzes -- no more power. At 5k, the 4.6 is still pulling.
Depends on where in the rpm band you want to get your jollies.

However this same guy was just amazed at how smooth the 4.6 was. Silky, it is.
Grunt powerful it ain't.

Before I got the GT I was (am, actually) building a restomod as a daily driver.
This was when my commute was 24 mi/day. I may be able to do the 90/day with it, but I will have to soften up the suspension specs to handle our ugly freeways.

BossBill

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. I didn't think about the smoothness part. At my age that's getting more important all the time.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. I didn't think about the smoothness part. At my age that's getting more important all the time.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
My daily driver is a 97 GT. Bought new. Love it!

Make sure to check that all recalls have been taken care of.
The 96-98 had problems with plastic manifold cracking and overheating at about 40K miles. Mine isn't there yet, but still has the manifold replaced.
There was also a recall on the emergency brake.
Other problem - driver's side power window regulator and motor have gone out - at separate times. Both replaced under warranty.
For power you would definitely do better with the 99+ years.

We also have a 2001 Bullitt, which we love, but it is still low mileage and only an occasional driver/cruiser.
J.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 2 cents: I have a '96 Cobra 'vert that I used as a daily driver until I bought my '68 'vert. The 4.6 4V (305 hp) engine is very strong, especially from 3500-6800. It is a little slow off the line compared to my '88 5.0, but it screams once you get the rpm's up. In total stock trim, and the only time I took it to the strip, I ran 9.08 in the 1/8 mile. With practice, it is easily a 13 second 1/4 mile car, if you are so inclined.

If you find a '96, check it for recall compliance; there were a few in '96 relating to overheating among others. '97-'98 did not have major recall issues that I'm aware of. I love my '96 and do not regret my purchase at all.

Good luck,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts