1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd have to check my shop manual, but I think you're right in the middle photo

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
The only correct way is with the self-adjuster system.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Yep, all original pictures are wrong. Walkers Coupe picture is "the" right way.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update and question. The PO used all new equipment, drums, shoes spring kits and the works. He just made a couple of mistakes and left the car in the garage for 25 years.

The plate and spring are if you want self adjusters, right? If I don't use them then I need to adjust the brakes, right. And yes I need to put those rubber covers in.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Some springs may look similar but are mirror images meant to be mounted on a specific side. Usually, different springs will be color-coded. Not sure if these cars have similar-but-different springs. These parts are very very cheap. No reason not to use the right parts.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It's not really a case of "if you want self adjusters". The braking system was designed for self adjusters and should be kept that way. Of course, if you NEVER need/use brakes, then leave the rest of the parts off and take your chances.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The parts are all really cheap and should be replaced after 25 years for sure.

·
Registered
538 Posts
They are cheap enough and the benefit of not having to adjust them is worth it. Yes, they would work without them but I wouldn't run them that way. 1950s Hudsons had the star adjuster set up as yours is currently without the self adjusting mechanism.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
An update and question. The PO used all new equipment, drums, shoes spring kits and the works. He just made a couple of mistakes and left the car in the garage for 25 years.

The plate and spring are if you want self adjusters, right? If I don't use them then I need to adjust the brakes, right. And yes I need to put those rubber covers in.
NO, not right. The self adjuster is NOT an optional piece of equipment.

You do see that the adjuster in the picture you posted of how you put the brake together is not even connected to the shoe on the right don't you. The spring looks to have zero tension on it. Self adjusters are on there for a reason and they work. If a car has half azzed brakes they should be parked and never driven on public roads. If brakes are not assembled like the image in Walker's post, keep the death trap off the road.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Thanks for those great pictures.
You're welcome. I got those brakes from Opentracker Racing, 11 x 2.25". Very nice brakes.

Allen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts