Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 3 row max cool radiator. I'm going to be doing to be doing the install tonight and I wanted to know how much radiator fluid I am going need for the install.

Thanks ahead of time.

1968 Fire Engine Red Mustang 302v2

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now is the best time to flush the system and replace all of the coolant with new stuff. You can either use anti-freeze and demineralized water or the pre-mixed coolant. I like pre-mix best because it's less fuss and cheaper too.

The cooling system of the 289 holds between 3 and 4 gallons of coolant.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard, and I tend to agree, that using DISTILLED water + coolant (50/50) is best. Of course, that could be what you mean by de-mineralized. I was going to use regular bottled drinking water, and my buddy said that actually did have some minerals in it that could deposit in the rad and water jackets. Just my HO.

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think there really is a difference between demineralized water and distilled water.

I have some demineralized water of which the label says that it is suitable for use in batteries and coolant systems.

If tap water in your region contains very little amounts of minerals, I don't really sea a problem using that. But to be 100% sure and to have that extra peace of mind, I'd either use anti-freeze+dem./dist. water or pre-mixed coolant.

If the engine has an iron block and alloy or aluminium heads, it is always recommended to use at least 50% anti-freeze. With two different types of metal close together and in contact with water and electrolytical reaction can occur leading to corrosion. The corrosion inhibiter in the anti-freeze will counter that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts