Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And is it worth the $250 the guy is asking?

I'm thinking of buying and modifying this 67 Cougar automatic Console over for the 67 Mustang convertible. It comes as you see in the photos, including the automatic shifter and 3 of the 4 warning lights including the harness.

Since it is a automatic and the top is padded for a cougar, and it's for a hardtop, it would have to be modified for my 67 4-speed mustang convertible.

So is this the same console as used in mustangs? If so, basically all I would need to do, is remove the padding, replace the auto shift plate with a manual, add the top trim panels, replace the 4th. warning light, and cut the console base to fit the convertible hump? How about seat belt holders, did the mustang console have them? Am I leaving anything out? (I know there is more to hooking up the warning lights, but basically just looking at making the console correct for mustang at this point).

What would it roughly cost to convert it over to how I need it?
Vs. what it would roughly cost if I found a a console just like this, but for a 4-speed Mustang? (including the warning lights & harness)

Lastly, what would the cougar stuff that would be taken off be worth to resale and recoup some of my conversion cost?

Here's the 3 photos and thanks for any help or suggestions,

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/D2/F6/11554514-598f-01260200-.jpg
http://a6.cpimg.com/image/D4/F6/11554516-b673-0184019C-.jpg
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/D3/F6/11554515-91ed-018401BA-.jpg

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Yes, it's worth the asking price, but not if you are going to convert it. Convenience control parts are at a premium right now. You would have a bit of a time finding the stuff but no problem selling it. The pads look great, but basically all you would be reusing for the 67 console is the base, ash tray and rear light assembly. The roll up door for 67 has a short handle, but these are available in repro. You would need the top plate with the cutout for the 4 speed shift plate (not the same as the automatic top plate) and of course the rare and expensive 4 speed shift plate. Also the radio plate. The base would also have to be modified to accomodate the little jog from the 4 speed shift plate. I've seen plain (no convenience control group) 4 speed consoles that are nice go for 400-500. Hot commodity right now. It's very hard to find just the pieces for the stick consoles. Auto console parts are plentiful. The harness for the rear light may also be different as the console looks like a 68 from the door.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
But that looks like a '68 Mustang console and not a Cougar console. I thought the Cougar consoles had the big round clock in the center...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That is the same as the console in my '68....
I don't know about the '67's but weren't all mustang convienance lights on the center of the dash? (or was than not true if it had A/C?)

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
67 lights were on the dash only (without a/c) If it had a/c, then the lights were only available if you purchased the console.

So which console is like yours? The first one or second one I showed?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, The second ( black) console is a 68 mustang console the first one looks like a mix of parts for a cougar the ashtray is the same as a 67 mustang but the door looks to be 68.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that's what I figured. My friend has a lot of console parts, so I think I can probably piece something together to make one nice 67 mustang console out of it. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts