Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought new Hi-Po exhaust manifolds and plan on installing them then go and get a new dual exhaust done. Obviously, I won't be able to reconnect my single exhaust to the new manifolds, so I have to drive to the shop with open exhaust. Besides being loud, can it cause any damage during the trip there?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I would not do it. With manifolds only they are way to short. When engine is run then shut off cold air could get to the valves. As hot as they will be you could warp them. To me it is not worth the risk. Have the car hauled to the muffler shop. Could be money well spent.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Headers... drive it. Exhaust manifolds..... NO WAY. Have it hauled.... I don't think you want to pull the heads and changed some warped valves, do you?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Yikes... sorry I didn't mean to mislead you! I figured exhaust manifolds were the same as headers. Disregard my previous advice /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
You can connect it temporarily. Pick up some of that flexible exhaust tubing that Pep Boys, etc. sell. You can bend it up anyway you need to connect it all.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
If you can bolt pieces of the old pipes on, say about 2 feet, you'd be OK. Still awful loud when you accelerate but tolerable if you avoid hills. See if you can hacksaw your old exhaust apart and use the pieces to get you to the shop. Beware of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have to go very far at very low speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts