Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys could answer me how much our stangs weigh? I'm sure that it depends on what engine, tranny, ect. , the car has. But, if you guys could just give me some numbers, it would help.
I'm having an argument with somebody over what weighs more, a 66' coupe w/a 200 i6 and a C4 (which I think is the lighest of all the classic stangs') and a 91 Honda Accord. Why am I having this discussion? Well, to make a long story short, I would much rather have a i6 Mustang as a daily driver.Thanks! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
A little under 3000 lbs, I believe. What does the weight have to do with it?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Depends on the year too. Your 1972 behemoth weighs much more than the first gen Mustangs.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes, but than it was designed to hold a "behemoth" 429 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
The other day a guy posted on another forum that he was shocked that his car came in at 2786 lbs (exactly)! He has power window conversion, 289, and other usual daily driver options. I saw another guy with a 289, 9" rear, and some other heavy duty stuff around 80 pounds heavier. Oh, and that is with a full tank, oil, and coolant. Amazing.

I don't know if that is with power steering or A/C though.

The Honda website puts their automatic Accord Sedan EX at 3329 lbs and the Accord DX, manual transmission at 2943 lbs.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
That "BEHEMOTH" is just 6 inches longer than a 69......and LOWER!!!

Ford just played with the compartments in all 3 dimensions.....

Yes, theyre heavier.....theyre MUCH STURDIER than any 65 ever thought about being!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
My behemoth tips the scales at 3675, but you're asking for older and slimmer model years.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Here's another list of specs, from Mustangs, Etc., that shows weights by year, model and (to some extent) by different engines. According to it a '66 coupe with a 6 weighed 2488 lbs. Your '73 Grande V8 tipped the scales at 3115 lbs.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
That 4212 lbs is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which means vehicle weight + 4 passengers + luggage.

It is not what your car weighs.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The three speed stick weighs less.

70 Boss 302 - - 3330 1/2 tank gas no driver
96 Mustang GT 4.6/5speed - - 3375 (gas unknown) no driver
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (love beating H's with it) 5sp - - 3400 (it's a Fox!) no driver

I suspect the 67-68 to be about 3100 (289/302) and the 65 to be around 2900.
I want the 65 restomod to be under 3000.

I have a landscape place nearby and I can just roll any car onto their digital scales.
Go to the dump or transfer station -- also a lot of freeway truck scales (go to a closed one) leave their scales on...just peek in the window.

Bossbill

G

·
0 Posts
69/70 had the badest of the bad boy 429's shoe horned in too (albeit with a few modifications form the boys at Kar Kraft).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
My 289 coupe with T-5 tranny and heavy 9" rear end came in at 2795 at the local drag strip.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Nice Stance. It's hard to get it to look just right -- you did.

BossBill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts