Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Dreaming about a drive.

Dreaming about a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Dreaming about a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway through northern California and on up to Vancouver, BC.

In my 1965 convertible.

However, there's just no-way-in-heck I can ever take more than a week off work at a time, so the only way to do that would be to ship my car west and fly out to meet it.

Is that like "Bill Gates money" or would it only be really expensive?

Phil

·
Registered
319 Posts
Depends on the transport you get. Fully covered and insured transport is like $1500-$2k whereas open transport (still insured) will be around $600-900. At least these are the prices I got a year or two ago to ship from CA to CO. Where are you shipping from?

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Assuming you are somewhere in southern Indiana, take the hundreds of dollars it would cost to transport your car to the west coast (and the worries that go along with that) and plan a trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains instead. Maybe visit Asheville, NC. Stay at the Grove Park Inn (cool little auto museum there too), snap a pic of your car on the visitor's drive in front of the Vanderbilt Mansion after a tour of that incredible place. The Blue Ridge Parkway is something too!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
^Been there and drove all around NC. Very beautiful.

My wife and I are driving the PCH from San Diego, CA to Seattle, WA over a 9 day period. We're flying out (already paid for flights) and renting a camaro/mustang convertible (+/-$1,300 for one way for 9 days) and flying back. We have budgeted 5K for the entire trip, it's $$$, but something we want to do before kids.

I thought about the same, have the 65 shipped, but it would be such a headache... and fear of shipping damage, and traffic is crazy in so Cal... so I'd rather save the $, keep it safe at home, and get a rental ragtop I can beat on :)

We're going in 2.5 months!

Reactions: HoosierBuddy

·
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Southern Indiana start point.

I have been to both Ashville and the Vanderbilt Mansion. Nice trip, but no...it is California or Bust on this trip. Next year will be our 25th wedding anniversary, and the highway trip has already been pre-approved by SWMBO. The "do it in the mustang" thing is just a dream at this point.

Of course, the mustang would have to come back too, so that's say $1600 or more. But renting a car for a week with a pick up in SF and drop of in Seattle is $900 so looks like it would be an extra $100 per day to take my own car.

Sigh...likely a non-starter.

I guess it would actually be cheaper to buy a car out there and sell it at the end of vacation. Also a likely non-starter.

Phil

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
We rented a Mustang 'vert for a cruise along the coastline to Hana while in Hawaii- best thing ever! Chipped in a few extra bones for the insurance, and hit the road- no worries about kissing the guardrail with my '65 :pirate:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not putting down anyone else's recommendation, but there are few roads I have traveled that compare to PCH given the right area. Especially Big Sur and central CA. To be fair I have driven in every state (except Hawaii and Alaska) and each has its own awesome places to travel. There is just something I cannot put my finger on when it comes to cruising PCH.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Not putting down anyone else's recommendation, but there are few roads I have traveled that compare to PCH given the right area. Especially Big Sur and central CA. To be fair I have driven in every state (except Hawaii and Alaska) and each has its own awesome places to travel. There is just something I cannot put my finger on when it comes to cruising PCH.
Reach out your driver's side window and feel around on the roof. You'll put your finger on it then.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I've shipped several cars open car carrier Dallas to Chicago $600-700 not door to door. To door is ~$100 adder.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That place is right down the street from my office. Like maybe 2 miles or so, drive by t all the time. Before I found my fastback I went to go look at one they had listed for sale as a V8 Fastback. Car was born as an I6 coupe and either he was lying through his teeth or he genuinely didn't know. But considering the business he is in either one was a red flag for me. Nice enough guy and all but it really turned me off to the place. And they were asking fastback A-code at least pricing for the car I looked at.

Perhaps renting from them would be different, but I would highly recommend going in with your eyes wide open.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes I would definitely recommend reading the rental papers carefully and also checking to see if your credit card covered AND ALSO your insurance covered such a unique rental car but it's an option. They also aren't the only game in town too. Google classic car rentals in California and you'll get a few up and down the coast. You can rent one in SanFran and drive it south to Santa Barbara which is a nice drive that avoids most of the traffic while getting the best part of the PCH. Any further south and you'll be faced with gridlock in a classic car. Any further north and it gets too cold to drive with the top down in the mornings.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm not trying to rain on your parade as I thought about doing the same thing in my 65 Fastback, and it became a logistical nightmare to try to coordinate drop off and pick up days and time. In the end we drove our normal car and had a blast anyway.

Don't forget if you ship your car the shipper wants an address to drop it off to. Have you thought of how you are going to do that? If you are going to ship it back you'll also have to make sure to be where the shipper can meet with you, and that is not always the best time or place to meet as it will subject to their time table and if a transport if available.

Honestly it would be cheaper to just rent a car, and make sure it is a Mustang convertible, than to ship a car from where you live to CA and back. You'll also have to deal with LA traffic, and driving north on the PCH any time after 10 AM will be bumper to bumper traffic. I drove through the outskirts of LA, and up the PCH last year from Phoenix. We had a blast, but we knew ahead of time from other trips that going up the PCH is best done in the early morning before the traffic gets bad.

Save your Mustang for the Tail of the Dragon.

Just my .02, and MHO.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hey guys,

Dreaming about a drive.

Dreaming about a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway.

Dreaming about a drive up the Pacific Coast Highway through northern California and on up to Vancouver, BC.

In my 1965 convertible.

However, there's just no-way-in-heck I can ever take more than a week off work at a time, so the only way to do that would be to ship my car west and fly out to meet it.

Is that like "Bill Gates money" or would it only be really expensive?

Phil
FWIW, while at BJ auction in Vegas 3 yr ago I talked to Reliable, they quoted me $1200 from there to Detroit.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yep, I agree with driving up the 1 along the coast of California. It's my favorite drive in a convertible. Did it first in 1980 and many times since. Go for it!

·
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good replies everyone.

Well...it sounds like what my heart wants, my heart can't have...at least for now. I'll plan on renting a car for the trip next year and MAYBE....someday....when I'm old and retired, we'll get in the '65 and start driving west.

Of course it would take a trailer to haul all our crap for a 4 week trip...hmmm. Logistics can be a nightmare.

Phil

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I was on the HRPT for an entire week, actually, 9 days. All I brought was a cooler, a gym bag with all my clothes and bathroom stuff, and a backpack with my laptop and tablet. I did laundry twice at hotels as I only brought 4 pairs of shorts and a bunch of tee shirts.

New Mustang/Camaro convertibles don't have much room either, and it's $$ to bring extra crap on planes, so I've stressed to my wife that we can do laundry on the trip and to pack light for our PCH drive, we'll be gone 9 days for this as well. She did really well on the power tour last year, I think she only had a gym bag and an extra backpack for all her "girl stuff".

Reactions: OneTireFire

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Not to pile on, just a touch of reality:

If you have a $1,000,000 show car you want transported you will probably go for the enclosed single car trailer/truck. The car picked up and delivered on a specific day and address delivered on a specific day at a specific address. This will probably cost $4,000 each way.

Normal car transport (done it 5 times over same route). The transport has several hubs like say Dallas/FortWorth, Chicago, LA etc. A car carrier like used by the factory (6 cars) is set to be at a hub on a specific week. People/dealers etc. get their car or cars over to the hub. When the transporter is full it ships.
In my case the nearest hub from Dallas is Chicago. I needed the car in Milwaukee County, a specific address.
It would wait 'til there was at least 2 going to Miwaukee County then my car delivered to my door. This is like a one to three week cycle! The shipper must be told who and when they get the car and must be accepted by the named person when it gets there! Shipping it back is the same routine.

Point is "how much does it cost" is just a small part of the issue. It's a little along the lines of "how much does a wedding cost". Maybe a quick estimate of $20,000 is the answer. How 'bout 6 months of planning and actual doing of 100 things by 10 people? Ya been the father of the bride twice, the movie was close!!!

Slim

Reactions: OneTireFire

·
Registered
319 Posts
Slightly off topic, but one of my dreams is to ship my car to Europe and drive on the Autobahn and some really sweet roads in Italy. So far the average price to ship from Long Beach harbor (closest port to me) to England/Germany/Italy is approx. 2-4k depending on time of year and the shipper. Not totally out of the question but will def cost some dough. Too bad time is an issue, it would be a great road trip to drive west then north to the boarder. I have done that drive a few times and its really a sight to see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts