Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey VMFers. Should my rear wheels free wheel in rears or have some drag. After driving my car this am. I measured ambient temp of drums through my wheels and it read over 200 F.
all new brakes.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
No real drag. I always adjust the shoes on drums until they start dragging, then back them off just enough to spin freely. You can actually measure with a feeler gauge on some vehicles, but every time I tried using that method it would end up pulling to one side or the other under braking so I went back to the old way which always works for me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I've always adjusted them to where you hear them dragging very slightly. Cuts down on the shoe reaction time.
I was always taught at the very slightest first time you hear ANY tiny bit of drag.
Stop there.

You will be adjusting and then” oh, there I hear a little scrape”
Stop there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,883 Posts
My Grandad grew up with the auto business, starting in an engine factory right before WWI. Spent 35 years as a mechanic. By far the best way is to set up the brakes for zero drag, and adjust the wheel bearings to perfection. Then tighten the brakes until you can barely turn the wheel by hand. Then back them off until you have just a whisper of drag. This insures you have correct contact with both shoes. If the shoes are arced on a brake machine, you won't even have a break-in period. He was in the business long before self-adjusting brakes were around.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?All amazing Anwsers. Yes rear brake shoes were arched to ge married to drums. I might have to back off star a hair. Thanks crew??

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Enough so you can feel and hear it....unless you're "drag" racing...then you don't want drag. Sound confusing? LOL.

·
Registered
35,883 Posts
Enough so you can feel and hear it....unless you're "drag" racing...then you don't want drag. Sound confusing? LOL.
The 67-70 big-block Mustangs came with power disc brakes, except you could specify you wanted manual drums instead. This was specifically for drag racing enthusiasts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts