Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a '66 428 out of a full-sized Ford. Owner says the car runs well, but the body is shot. Of course, I don't care about the body; I want the drivetrain. He's asking $1000. Unfortunately, the car's 800 miles away. Any recent market info on what a running 428 is worth? I'm trying to find out what I can before I commit to a 1600 mile inconvenience.

thanks,

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Perogies has this on there website:
428 C6ME..........................................$ 795.00

This is a price for a bare block that still needs to go to the machine shop

·
Registered
680 Posts
You do realise that this is not a Cobra Jet 428....It will not have the heads on it that you can use in a Mustang....You need the heads that have the double bolt holes. You cannot buy headers or the factory exhaust won't fit anything but a full sized car or some trucks..
The heads you need will cost you some pretty good change.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I know it's not a Cobra Jet, but it is still 65 more hp than my x-code. I did not know about the heads, however. Are you saying that the engine will not fit physically in the Mustang? If I have to buy different heads (which I know are a big chunk of change), then it won't be worth the cost or hassle to me to get it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you did decide to get this engine you might be able to get ford powertrain to make you a set of headers with the correct bolt pattern for those heads. Check out there web site at www.fordpowertrain.com. The engine will fit in your mustang just like any other FE but you will not be able to find a stock exhaust manifold that will fit those heads and fit in the engine bay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts