Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
For some reason im stuck on having 400+ hp in my project when Im done. I plan on driving my car lots and lots when its finished then someday when Im old and life has passed me by having it made nice and pretty for Sunday afternoon drives with my wife and grand kids.

With the assumption that I plan on driving the car 3-4 days a week during nice weather, is 400 hp too much? Should I be shooting for mid 300's?

Thanks
I have a real Hipo 289 with a vintage Paxton, Speed trap mufflers, 4 speed and 3.89's. I would not want to drive it everyday. It's loud and harsh to drive, especially on the highway. It's definitely fun at a red light. I added Second Skin sound deadening and it is still loud. I also tend to get a lot of heat in the cabin.. Handling and braking also contributes to how it drives.. I have a Total Control manual rack and disk brakes all the way around. It is lowered an 1" with stiff springs..

I built the car with what I thought would be fun and started adding stuff for the creature comforts. I added a Classic Air A/C, Sound Deadening, better stereo, TMI Sport Seats, etc... Still harsh.. I do love to drive it and it sounds great. Acceleration has a ton of seat factor/fun.

If I was doing this again to make it more driveable, I would have built a stroker/bigger motor with decent HP and quieter mufflers. I would have focused more on the handling and braking than the HP.. I would also go to a 5 Speed.. Have to admit that the second skin stuff does help.. I used their Dampler Pro, Luxury Liner and their spectrum. Adds more weight, but does quiet things down in the cabin. I am trying to get where I could take a phone call while driving..

Something else to consider.... I added Hot Tronic electric windows.. looks original, but is electric up and down. I plan to buy one of those removable center consoles with a cup holder.. Can't tell you how many times I got a Sonic drink and tried to drive with it between my legs.. Hard to do with power and shifting..

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I recall an article from a few years ago in Hot Rod or some other publication in which rodders were asked, prior to putting their cars on a portable dyno, what HP did they estimate their engine. What an eye opener! Few guessed below 350hp (with many guessing over 450!). Even fewer had over 300.

·
Super Moderator
10,929 Posts
TQ is much more impressive for the street, but with that all being said and done, if you're not going to the Track or the Dyno, just lie,...Nobody but you will know! :thumbsup:

Edited for a last thought,.....as mentioned previously, if you can't hook then it really doesn't even matter!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,929 Posts
Condensed version for the lazy ones,.."Well I beat the guy, who beat the guy, who beat the guy that ran 10's....". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
About 20 years ago I built a 66 Nova for my son. It had a 283 that made 225 rwhp. Powerglide and 4.11 gears. It ran mid-14s at the track (2800 elev.) and barely spun a wheel on street tires. He smoked a bunch of high hp cars racing on the street because he put the power down and had traction. He drove the car everywhere and loved it.

I have since updated the car with a 700r4 transmission and a roller cam 406 that made 400 hp/465 tq on the engine dyno. I've driven the car before and after and the old version is frankly faster on the street. The new version is so traction limited.

A well balanced power/suspension package is more enjoyable IMHO.

·
Spammer Hammer
10,916 Posts
TQ is much more impressive for the street, but with that all being said and done, if you're not going to the Track or the Dyno, just lie,...Nobody but you will know! :thumbsup:

Edited for a last thought,.....as mentioned previously, if you can't hook then it really doesn't even matter!
That's why you gotta smoke the FATTY's like IZ. :shocked:

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Oh my god that video was funny. Dodgestang where do you get this stuff.
I have no life. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Maybe, depends on the weight of the mustang and if we're talking rwhp.

But either way, my point is that the Raptor with 400+hp is NOTHING to compare a 400hp Mustang to. It runs a 14.8 in the 1/4 mile. Doesn't take much power at all to make a mustang that quick.

400hp mustang? 12's easy if not faster if set up right.

No comparison.
Well I agree with that, but that's not what you said the first time. Now you've doubled your mustang horsepower. I'm aware of what it's like to drive a Mustang with a decent amount of power ;)

·
Premium Member
11,424 Posts
my work car had 550hp. maybe 1000 or 1500 hp might be too much. i'v had friends that drove cars to work and back with blowers and tunnel rams. how wide is too wide for tires on a daily driver ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
this was a fun thread to read. some great points made, nothing to add.

For what it’s worth, I run a home built (aka me) 427 stroker that you’ll see in charlotte. 100% streetable for me and I do drive it daily. Just recently, engine dyno’d at 493HP/527TQ, with intentional fairly mellow roller cam, setup is for lower-end torque. Lots more power could be made with a more aggressive cam. Does have choppy idle tone while retained plenty of vacuum at idle. Runs well on what the world calls “premium” pump gas these days using a Quick Fuel SS-780 vacuum secondary carb. 9” 3.70 traction lock. TCI AOD StreetFighter transmission with B&M 2400 stall. Lockup AOD as highway RPM is extremely important to me, what a difference in lowering exhaust tone, makes all the difference for holding normal conversation on the highway with this relatively aggressive setup. Functioning air conditioning, power steering and brakes, idles all day long in bumper to bumper.

It will shred my 245/60/15 radial TA’s. But those are for the white letter retro look and mellow daily driver ride, and still a great price. They hold just fine for normal/aggressive driving. Would need much stickier tires to actual hook all that up.

G

·
this was a fun thread to read. some great points made, nothing to add.

For what it’s worth, I run a home built (aka me) 427 stroker that you’ll see in charlotte. 100% streetable for me and I do drive it daily. Just recently, engine dyno’d at 493HP/527TQ, with intentional fairly mellow roller cam, setup is for lower-end torque. Lots more power could be made with a more aggressive cam. Does have choppy idle tone while retained plenty of vacuum at idle. Runs well on what the world calls “premium” pump gas these days using a Quick Fuel SS-780 vacuum secondary carb. 9” 3.70 traction lock. TCI AOD StreetFighter transmission with B&M 2400 stall. Lockup AOD as highway RPM is extremely important to me, what a difference in lowering exhaust tone, makes all the difference for holding normal conversation on the highway with this relatively aggressive setup. Functioning air conditioning, power steering and brakes, idles all day long in bumper to bumper.

It will shred my 245/60/15 radial TA’s. But those are for the white letter retro look and mellow daily driver ride, and still a great price. They hold just fine for normal/aggressive driving. Would need much stickier tires to actual hook all that up.
That sounds like fun and 1.15 hp/ci is doing really good.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts