Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Well I agree with that, but that's not what you said the first time. Now you've doubled your mustang horsepower. I'm aware of what it's like to drive a Mustang with a decent amount of power ;)
3 quotes later I think it's a bit confusing :p

He was asking about a 400hp mustang and said the only 400hp vehicle he's been in is a Raptor. I was pointing out that since the Raptor is so dang heavy (6100 lbs) it's nothing to compare a 400hp Mustang to. A much less powerful (threw out the 200hp number) mustang would be more comparable.

Then I suggested he drive a 400hp mustang before settling on that number.

I'm sure we'd agree on how fast each car can be. Since so many other factors other than just HP matter, I just threw a number out. But the only point I was trying to make is that a Raptor and a 400hp Mustang have pretty much nothing in common in terms of acceleration.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I disagree completely... I've got roughly 450fwhp and 375rwhp in my 1965 fastback with a 351w, T5, 9" rear and it isn't that difficult to get power to the tires
I had to read this twice.

At first I thought you had some crazy mustang with a transverse motor in the front and rear. :p

Seen too many people talk about "front wheel hp" before online lol.

Sounds like a fun car, but what kind of suspension and tires you running?

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
I had to read this twice.

At first I thought you had some crazy mustang with a transverse motor in the front and rear. :p

Seen too many people talk about "front wheel hp" before online lol.

Sounds like a fun car, but what kind of suspension and tires you running?
Haha no, I can only afford one engine in my car. For the suspension, it's 1" lowered, aftermarket leafsprings, springs, kyb gas ajust shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 1" rear sway bar, traction bars... so nothing too terribly crazy but it corners quite well and has little to no body roll. The tires in front are 215/45/17 and the rears are 245/45/17, wheels are 17x7" in front and 17x8" in rear. And she can be a fun car, but no one seems to want to race anymore, kinda disappointed about that... not even the young ricer crowd, maybe they've wizened up over the years?

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Haha no, I can only afford one engine in my car. For the suspension, it's 1" lowered, aftermarket leafsprings, springs, kyb gas ajust shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 1" rear sway bar, traction bars... so nothing too terribly crazy but it corners quite well and has little to no body roll. The tires in front are 215/45/17 and the rears are 245/45/17, wheels are 17x7" in front and 17x8" in rear. And she can be a fun car, but no one seems to want to race anymore, kinda disappointed about that... not even the young ricer crowd, maybe they've wizened up over the years?
Take it up to Pacific Raceways (SIR) this summer. I will run you in my little daily driver Falcon :) could be a good race with similar horsepower. 331 vs 351W. You really should spend a little time out there this summer with your car.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Take it up to Pacific Raceways (SIR) this summer. I will run you in my little daily driver Falcon :) could be a good race with similar horsepower. 331 vs 351W. You really should spend a little time out there this summer with your car.
Id like to but the Achilles heel of my setup is the T5 transmission and think if I race it a lot the transmission will blow. And I'm not really wanting to spend thousands of dollars on a new transmission right now haha

·
Spammer Hammer
10,916 Posts
Man you guys must be REALLY hard on transmissions. I open tracked and auto crossed my '83 GT (mildly built) stock T-5, 8.8" (after I grenaded the 7.5"), for 5 years. Not one problem ever out of the tranny. I did replace the factory fluids and only ran Redline synthetics in it. But it saw some serious track time with no failures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So a 460 HP gen 3 coyote with a 10 speed auto is a 3.8 second car. I assume it would be pretty similar in a first gen. Yes?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
785 Posts
I think 10,000HP is a bit much, anything less is just fine and your car wont split in two under acceleration. :)

Chris

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
So a 460 HP gen 3 coyote with a 10 speed auto is a 3.8 second car. I assume it would be pretty similar in a first gen. Yes?
No. Almost impossible to put that kind of power down in a 65/66.

·
Registered
21 Posts
3.8 second car how exactly, oh reviver of seven year old threads? Zero to sixty maybe?
yes to 60 not in the quarter Sorry I should have been more clear

I just can’t seem to find good performance info to 60 or the quarter on coyote swaps With all the first gen and fox coyote swaps I’m surprised that data isn’t easy to find

·
Registered
21 Posts
No. Almost impossible to put that kind of power down in a 65/66.
In a 68 with a roadster shop SPEC chassis and mini tubbed rear end? I don’t care about 3.8 per se but I’m interested in the limits of those cars and whether something like 0-60 around 4 seconds is possible

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Coyote Mustang has a very advanced traction control strategy with 275mm tires and a modern suspension design that is designed to put that power down. The early car might match it 0-60, but it's going to have to be done with brute force (i.e. big drag radials or slicks) and a suspension in good condition.

·
Registered
21,366 Posts
Depends on what you need to do to get the power. Getting that much from a 302 will create a car a little harsh "for Sunday afternoon drives with my wife and grand kids". In any case, doubt the ladies will appreciate the use of that much power with them or the kiddies in the car.

Have you ever driven a Mustang with, say, 320 hp? That's a LOT of fun, and can be done with a hydraulic cam that your wife could drive to church.
My combo makes about 280 hp. With a good suspension, 4 speed and 3.55's it's a lot of fun!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
yes to 60 not in the quarter Sorry I should have been more clear

I just can’t seem to find good performance info to 60 or the quarter on coyote swaps With all the first gen and fox coyote swaps I’m surprised that data isn’t easy to find
Lot of variables: tires, track/road condition, gearing, driver skills. I've seen a few times that ranged from low 13s to high 11s on street tires. Most seem to fall in high 12 range at about 115 MPH.
There is a member here, hasn't been on for awhile, that built a 65 fastback with an Aluminator (540hp or so) and T56. He visited me at my house once and let me drive the car. Yes, it would break the tires loose with ease but it was possible to roll onto the throttle for a fairly hard launch. It was actually very controllable, didn't make me feel like it was going to lift off or leave the road, was a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You want just enough to break the tires free when you want to make a point, but not so much that you lose the rear end on every corner. These cars are light, and don't need a ton of power to be a lot of fun to drive.
This is my biggest problem - I have an auto with a crate 306, pretty aggressive cam, EFI. Whenever the modern Hellcat or Shelby guys pull up next to me and start revving, as soon as I hammer it, my Radial T/As just start spinning.
Ergo, I’ve sort of given up on that. I just like the way it looks and sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
In a 68 with a roadster shop SPEC chassis and mini tubbed rear end? I don’t care about 3.8 per se but I’m interested in the limits of those cars and whether something like 0-60 around 4 seconds is possible
Anything is possible given enough money.
Much like a Kindig car, a "68 with a roadster shop SPEC chassis and mini tubbed rear end" is really a '68 Mustang in name only.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
People that wanted a 3.8 sec 0-60 vintage Ford sold the Mustang and bought a 427 Cobra. ;)

(yes, with enough work you could build a Mustang to do so)

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lot of variables: tires, track/road condition, gearing, driver skills. I've seen a few times that ranged from low 13s to high 11s on street tires. Most seem to fall in high 12 range at about 115 MPH.
There is a member here, hasn't been on for awhile, that built a 65 fastback with an Aluminator (540hp or so) and T56. He visited me at my house once and let me drive the car. Yes, it would break the tires loose with ease but it was possible to roll onto the throttle for a fairly hard launch. It was actually very controllable, didn't make me feel like it was going to lift off or leave the road, was a fun car to drive.
Thank you. I was actually debating between the new 5.2 aluminator (580 hp) and a gen 3 coyote (460 hp) and wondering if that extra power was worth anything if I couldn't put it down.

Now I'm wondering what is going to happen to the prices of coyotes if ford is going back to pushrods in 2022

61 - 80 of 86 Posts