Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Thank you. I was actually debating between the new 5.2 aluminator (580 hp) and a gen 3 coyote (460 hp) and wondering if that extra power was worth anything if I couldn't put it down.

Now I'm wondering what is going to happen to the prices of coyotes if ford is going back to pushrods in 2022
I would like to have gone with 5.2 Aluminator myself, but had to draw a budget line somewhere so choose Gen 3 Coyote. I have seen several tests on the crate motor and it seems that Ford might have fudged on the horsepower ratings, everyone seems to be pulling well over the 460 mark. So I am figuring with tune and midlength headers, I will be in the 480-490 range which should be plenty of fun, and yet still get me well over 20 mpg.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For me, the line of "too much power" only gets crossed when there is a loss of driveability. For pushrod motors, that probably means a choppy idle, loud noise, broken parts and finnicky character. Heavy clutches and solid mounts don't help. If you can modulate 500hp like you would a 150hp car, and it's east to live with, you haven't found the limit. That's what makes the Coyote so good.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For some reason im stuck on having 400+ hp in my project when Im done. I plan on driving my car lots and lots when its finished then someday when Im old and life has passed me by having it made nice and pretty for Sunday afternoon drives with my wife and grand kids.

With the assumption that I plan on driving the car 3-4 days a week during nice weather, is 400 hp too much? Should I be shooting for mid 300's?

Thanks
300 to 400 horse power is reasonable and will get U everywhere and anywhere 500 to 800 horsepower will.
Actuall 225 horsepower is plenty for cruising anywhere. Having a few hundred more is just more fun when U nail the throttle.
Too much will get U in trouble, way too easily!
Common sense will get U a long way! 🤔

·
rdnck1
1965 Mustang Luxury Coupe, 363, 4R70W, 9", work in progress
275 Posts
Lots of good answers but it really boils down to the driver and if you can get traction.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,400 Posts
Some times it's more fun to have too little traction.... Just remember the loose nut behind the wheel is your biggest limiter.

Reactions: rdnck1
81 - 86 of 86 Posts