Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slack in the timing chain? Brothers 351W had a small problem. The Alternator siezed up and snapped the lower mounting bolt. As we know, chasing down this bolt involves removing the timing cover.
Well "While we were at it" kicked in and he is currently preping the brackets for paint and I thought the timing chain should be replaced because..A. I think it has too much slack and B. It is the original motor
and is totally unknown as to the last if ever replacement.
My ? is how much slack is enough? I would replace it just for the peace of mind and I am there and it is not expensive. Any help?
Bruce (TX)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Regardless of the amount of slack, I would go ahead and replace it, now that the motor is apart, and you can do it. If for nothing more, than the peace of mind knowing it's new and been replaced.

Just my $0.02 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Rick

·
Registered
127 Posts
I removed my oil pan on my I6 just to clean it up and also found the timing chain had slack in it. OVER an inch!!! I replaced it, the new one has almost NO slack. This was sort of a good thing since I had to take so much of the front of the engine apart anyway, I got lots cleaned up and repainted/replaced. The car runs good and I feel better knowing it is DONE (right?? at least it runs .. LOL)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts