Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking into a cam for my 70 351c 2v. I would only like to get a summit cam and lifter kit for about 70 bucks. Im on a big time budget and I don't really want to have to replace the whole valvetrain. Will this cam be safe with stock springs,rockers, etc???....
Specifications:

* Advertised duration: 276 intake/286 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in. cam lift: .218 intake/.228 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .509 in. intake/.509 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 114 degrees
* RPM range: 2,000 to 4,500

The popular view for the 302's is about .500 on the intake lift. I haven't came across any infomation on this subject in regard to a 2v cleveland. Do I really NEED to replace stuff if I went with this perticular cam? I really can not afford it. But I guess do it cheap would cost me more in the long run, right? The motor has been rebuilt bottom and top put the stock srings were kept. Everything appears to look fine upon visual inspec.
Thanks for the input.
Oh, and nasaj.. How do you like the bracket 2 cam? Is it in yet?

·
Registered
847 Posts
don't know about a 351, but I have win. heads on a 302 the cam I went with was a crane powermax and without a roller motor I whent wint a 216 d in. 228 d ex. and 484 L in. and 512 L ex. I did have too change the vavle springs to get it tight I belive the power band is 2000-5000 rpm

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I would make sure and check for valve spring binding but I would say no problem with that mild cam.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering. Did ford use the same valve springs springs on 302's and 351 w/c ??? I would bet they probably used heavy duty springs on the boss and hipo engines of the day. Anybody know? And did they use different springs when using a solid lifter?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you run the engine in the rpm range recommended and the springs aren't ancient (by that I mean OEM), my instincts are that you'd be OK...

Who the heck rebuilt a long block and didn't replace valve springs?....pound wise and dollar foolish...*G* Valve springs are cheap as dirt and just as easy to replace, especially when the heads are off. I can do it in 10 minutes with an air spring compressor.

Check the archives for my method of checking VP clearance with everything assembled...likely won't be a problem but do you really want to find out? *G*

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'd break down and get new springs.... Just to be safe, my factory springs were lookin' pretty rough after 30 years, and the Comp Cam kit I bought came with some double springs for .515/.540 lift. Its just cheap insurance, cheaper than dropping a valve and needing a new motor. Sucks, but I'd wait to get the cam and springs, just to be 100% sure.

The Bracket Master WAS great, ran really well, was very happy with it.. However, I'm having "issues", I thought I blew a head gasket but now I'm thinking the head is warped, so I'm pulling and rebuilding early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts