Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Coupe decided we pull the 302 and rebuild it again due to the sand, gasoline, and metal shards in the oil and oilpan. I really, really want to put a fast, beefy engine in it that can haul Topeekee ricers and 20 foot trucks. I really like the 428's, but the X engine I believe, was a 427 in a '68 Drag car. I would really like to buy a big block (stronger than a 428/427/429) and rebuild the 302 someday and put it in the Falcon or Coupe's SWMBO '66. Any suggestions? I know madmax aka Bruce Wanamaker here in Topeekee sells them bare. I only get +200$ maybe every month at my after-school care job in Montara. Any resources, help, and/or suggestions would be nice. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,753 Posts
I don't really understand your story, but I'm not sure it's such a great idea to spend all your money on your car. It's never too early to start saving for your future. But if you choose to go for it, be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

, but the X engine I believe, was a 427 in a '68 Drag car

<hr></blockquote>

The "X" code 1968 engine was a 2v 390.

IIRC from a previous post, non big block cars need some modificatons to withstand the torque of a big block.

Good luck,

Gary

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I hate to say this, but if your married and making $200 a Month, your not being realistic. Keep your dream alive, dreams are important, but fix that 302 until you have a real income.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Rebuild the 302 and listen to the advice of other posters, SAVE YOUR MONEY!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahem! If you know who STR8SIX is, then you would know whom I am. I am only 17 years old and my dad wants me to spend ALL my money, yes ALL of it, on the cars. Besides I could just rebuild and drop the 302 into the '67 Falcon. I decide long ago, the '68 will be a superb-fast big block car. I'm learing how to weld so soon, I should be able to strengthen the '68's chassis and torques. So???? HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST ME!!!!!

P.S. I have all the possible college funding/money, I could need. He has money runnin' out of his whazo!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Your best option is to go to the local auto auction and find something that looks like a complete piece of crap but that has a solid running engine. A 351 would be your best bet for cheap power. You can either do a minor rebuild to put in rings and check things our or you can just drop it in. If its running when you buy it then it should continue running once installed. If you wait for a 390 you will probably never finish the project.

The other week i saw a lincoln continental with a 5.0 go for $100. It ran beautiful. you could just strip the fuel injection and slap on your intake. You might have to change the flyweheel for the coorect balance and bolt up (not sure). Old utility vans may hide a 351.

If you want to beat the ricers you need a traction loc with 3.50 gears and 245 rear tires. You should have no problem with a 289 beating any 4 cylinder from 0-60. A race is not won by how much horsepower your car has, it is won by how much horsepower you can transfer to the pavement.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
" So???? HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST ME!!!!! "
I think the more relevant question is how much big block can you afford...

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you REALLY wanna know, for a reliable, fast, streetable, built 460 from scratch have about 14,000 extra in the checking account. That is just to start. You could probably go half-ass and spend 8000.00 on a stock setup, but why bother? If you really wanna get serious then pony-up the dough at the start. I have one motor that you couldn't touch for under 28,000.00, so believe you me, I KNOW!!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
if i had to guess and it only a guess your looking at a $1,000 just to get a 390 and bolt it in. There will be agrivation trying to find all the little parts. At that price you would have a used engine, add however much you want to rebuild it and build it up.

You need headers, radiator, pulleys. You may also need things like stronger front springs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell you what, for the $8000 this guy mentioned, I'll put you in a 521 cid BBF/'glide setup. It won't be at all streetable, gas mileage will be non-existant and it will be guaranteed to overheat at any distance over a 1/4 mile, but you will definitely be the badass of your neighborhood...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about a 411 Interceptor? I think Coupe told me, my cousin might have one. Now that'd be burnin' rice...right? Hehehehe...... I figured that 16 hours would make me roughly, $112. There is a ricer at my Votect school here in Topeekee, that really thinks he has his stuff. The usual, different coloured body, rabid squirrels and ***** running the belts, pulleys, and gears, chrome head to toe, missing rear bumper, and duel chrome exhaust (oh please.. :mad: ) I'd really like something to show, when the annual car show comes around in april at Votech. I just want horsepower, sound, and speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts