Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Fastback, deluxe interior. 351c 4v.
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOw much oil do I need for this thing? 1970 351C... I just did an oil change and added 5 quarts to be safe, plus a pint of SeaFoam. Should I adda nother quart or half quart?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm curious as to why you added Seafoam to the oil? I have only heard and used it in the gasoline of marine outboard engines to clean carbon deposits.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF you read the cans, it's for auto or marine, you can add it to the gas tank, carb, or to the oil. This engine has sat for 15 years and I added to all three. Works real well. I also get a special SeaFoam stuff for automatic trannys. Did that too. Most people I know around here hold it in high regards.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
HOw much oil do I need for this thing? 1970 351C... I just did an oil change and added 5 quarts to be safe, plus a pint of SeaFoam. Should I adda nother quart or half quart?
Why would you want to put 6.5 quarts in a motor that takes 5? Do you have a non-stock oil pan? Did you remember to pour some in the oil filter before screwing it in?

I find that if I pour oil in and then pull the dipstick and look I quite often know how much oil is in the car and/or how much additional needs to be added ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, well for starters I didn't put in 6.5 quarts. I put in 5... plus a pint. I wasn't sure how much oil this engine took. So THAT is why I was asking how much to put in. I have never worked with a 351 until yesterday. I'm used to big FE engines. I didn't know if this was a 5 or 6 quart engine. So I did 5 and then asked.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
But did you pull the dipstock and check?

The reason is simple, if it hasn't been run in a while, although the car is generally full with 5 quarts, you might end up needing to put another 1/2 quart in. Is the dip stick not functional in the car? If so you need to rectify that sooner than later.

I am not trying to give a hard time.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
according to all the literature I have the Cleveland holds 5 quarts..manufacturer suggests 10W40..with the pint of Seafoam you are a little over..I would just drain a bit off..I have never heard of Seafoam on the East Coast..what is it?..just curious

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I have the baffled oil pan and run 6 quarts. I have a high volume oil pump, oil scraper/windage tray, and the baffled oil pan.
The boss 351 used 6 quarts with only a recalibrated dipstick and baffled pan.
The baffled pan is the same as any other except for the fore mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts