Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is getting close to the time I need to order epoxy primer and paint...but the answers I find to this question are all over the place.

The car is a '66 coupe. I need enough epoxy primer to cover the entire thing, undercarriage, interior, engine bay, and up under the fenders as well as the entire "finished" exterior section of the car. The same for whichever paint I eventually end up with. Since this will be my first paint job, the exterior and other finished areas will inevitably end up being sanded and sprayed far more than if I were actually experienced. I am not going to use undercoating...simply going to spray with some high gloss paint to make occasional cleaning of the undercarriage easier.

So how many sprayable gallons of each primer and paint am I going to need with an acceptable margin of safety? To be clear, I am not intending or expecting any show-quality job, just something that looks pretty decent for a daily driver. Suggestions for paints and primers are welcome.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I’d buy 2 gal RTS each for color and clear not counting under body and under hood. The amount of color will depend on the shade and how much it covers. I don’t use epoxy but for the high build and sealer I‘d start with 3 gal RTS. An epoxy guy will give you a better answer.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,760 Posts
A one gallon SPI kit (two gallons sprayable) did two coats on my ‘66 hardtop, inside, outside, underneath, top, everything.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...next question...single stage or base/clear for a daily? I know little to nothing about auto paint and its durability.

·
Registered
35,838 Posts
I would buy THREE gallons of epoxy primer (PLUS its activator). This should leave you with enough to reduce and spray as a sealer coat prior to application of color. There should be no need to topcoat the epoxy primer underneath or inside (floors, etc.) so I'd buy TWO gallons (PLUS hardener) of your color coat (I'm a single-stage kind of guy)... my choice would be an acrylic urethane. Note that you should consider purchasing a PINT of lacquer primer/surfacer and a PINT of interior color, in acrylic lacquer (PLUS reducer), for your dash and metal interior pieces....maybe buy a QUART of color since you have metal interior quarter trim...

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I might end up using 3 gallons of epoxy, but I just buy a gallon kit (2 sprayable gallons at a time). I use SPI so it's free shipping. I'd rather buy what I need rather than have a bunch of stuff left over....because I have quarts and quarts of old activator sitting around which shouldn't be used. I have dozens of cans of paint chemicals sitting around from everything I paint.

As far as the basecoat, I'd wait to order that until you get an idea for how you spray your epoxy. You'll figure out how much it takes to spray a type of panel. If you're doing single stage, epoxy sprays a lot like single stage. I only do single stage for stuff like horse trailers and tractors, cars, golf carts, anything I want to really pop I do basecoat/clear coat. Single stage will be easier for you to work with but if you want metallic, paint correction in single stage is tough. I'd probably recommend a single stage for you.

How much material you use is also going to depend on your gun settings, speed, tip size, and overlap.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,057 Posts
Ok I thought so. Reason I asked is when spraying it in a mostly stripped you will tend to use less as opposed to doing it in sections. Personally I've used a gallon of PPG epoxy and a gallon of SPI black and 2 quarts of SPI red oxide. I did mine in sections and used the PPG as a high build that I sanded.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my car is striped down all the way(there may be 6 bolts I haven't removed yet...and 3 of those are wiper motor bolts because I don't want to fight that thing again unless I have to) and it is on the rotisserie currently, so that may factor into the decision. I plan on painting the car just black(though a midnight blue pearl is very tempting) using black epoxy primer as the base. The plan calls for spraying the underside/engine bay and interior first, then after those are complete, stripping, body work and spraying the exterior areas and panels.

Reactions: Huntingky
1 - 11 of 11 Posts