Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to paint the car, and was wondering how much base and clear I need to buy?

I already painted all the trim areas - so I am talking about just the outside area only

Also how many coats of base and clear are typically used?

Thx for any advise

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am planning on no more than 3 coats of base PPG and 2 coats of clear at the very most on my 66 coupe. The more you put on and the thicker you put it on, it tends to crack over time.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Don't quote me but I think if you buy a gallon of unthinned paint, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
7 oz. of sprayable paint per panel, per coat is Kevin's rule of 7's.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
1MoTime said:
The more you out on and the thicker you put it on, it tends to crack over time.
Say what? I've heard that about the clears from the 70s, but nowadays, I'd spray at least 5 coats of clear and expect to cut and buff 3 of the coats off in the detailing process, probably more like 7 coats so there's a fair amount left after detailing if something should happen. Same goes for the base, I think I've seen 3-4 coats as pretty standard for paint jobs you really care about.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Two quarts of base which makes 1 gallon of sprayable base, 3 coats. You can buy quarts of clear & hardener a little cheaper than a gallon. But sometimes it's simpler to just buy the clear "kit" which is one gallon of clear, 1 quart of hardener. Three coats of clear if you're gonna wetsand & buff.

·
Registered
589 Posts
3 coats of GOOD quality paint is plenty ! to me, the old rule of "less paint is best paint" usually holds true. And for me, 2 good oats of clear coat does the job. After it all sits a nd cures out, I will sand it down with 1500 and then followed with a sanding job with 2000 grit.

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
cmayna said:
Don't quote me but I think if you buy a gallon of unthinned paint, you'll be good to go.
Ditto. That will cover the undersides of the hood, doors and trunk lid, as well as the dash and door jambs. You should have some extra left over for "just in case"......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts