Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring my 73 convertible, and will be having repainted. I know very little about anything paint related. How many quarts of paint should it tkae to paint the whole car, including the door jams, and possibly the inside of the doors(what the door panels cover up)? I have decided to go with a completely different color than before. Would I save money purchasing the paint myself, and then haveing a professional paint it? I would appreciate any info that anyone might have on this subject.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Quite honestly, I don't know how many quarts it would take. But you won't really save any money by buying it yourself. Leave it to whoever will do the painting. You may limit who you will be able get to paint the car if you buy it in advance...

Frank

·
Registered
992 Posts
You will definately limit who will paint your car if you buy the paint and take it to them. Most painters are particular about what they use and have definate preferences.

We used about six quarts of base to do my car, jambs and all.
We used about six quarts of clear and 2 pints of black low gloss. Could have done the black with 1 pint (since we used black primer first) but we had to re-shoot the hood because of trash in the paint.

Sluggo

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Different paint covers differently. I used 4 qts to do a color change on my 66.
You won't save any money buying the paint yourselve unless you buy cheap paint. But most painters have their favorite brand & probably wouldn't do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts