Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I had stated in a post I started a few weeks back, I came across original fenders and a trunk lid that someone in my area has for sale. I went to look at both parts today and for the most part, they were in solid shape. A few rust spots that I want to bring to your attention in the forum in which I am asking for advice if these spots can be fixed and, well bottom line, is it worth it.
Item A - Passenger Fender

I'll try to explain as best as possible as I may not use the correct terminology. The red circle indicates the rust spot in question. It's not on the actual fender sheet metal but the bracket(?) attached to the fender. I don't know the actual part name, I do know it seems to be attached to the fender, in fact if I bought a repo it would have this part as well. It's a soft spot that I can put my finger through. Is this a big deal?

Item B - trunk lid

Trunk is in good shape save for the slight small rust spots that are on the inside part of the trunk, it seems, where the metal from the outside part of the trunk meets and is welded to the metal on the inside part of the trunk, if that makes sense. Small rust spots and holes. I circled the area in blue as it runs across the inner lid area. THANKS!

By the way these images are not of the actual parts. I came across these on the net as they are pretty much exactly what the parts for sale look like.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be up and running now!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have 80 bucks total if I remember right and about 20 hours labor repairing a fender I paid 40 a piece for 2 fenders that had damage or rust in different spots so I figures what the heck I would trying to make one out of two
This pictures is of the bad part of the fender I planned on using. I already removed the inner brace which was surprising easy to do and have made my marks to cut off the bottom part as well http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/bigcedarfarm/fender005.jpg
This is a picture of the replacement brace that I removed from the donor car checking for fitment which was perfect I assume since they were factory fender
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/bigcedarfarm/fender002.jpg
I already cut the bottom of the fender off and tacked it together here http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/bigcedarfarm/fender010-1.jpg
Here is a shot from the outside
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/bigcedarfarm/fender009-1.jpg
At this point I was looking good with very little warpage so I picked up the pace of my spot welding and created a huge amount of extra work for myself as it warped more then I thought, so if you are going to butt weld anything take your time. At this time I had already replace 2 rear quarters floor pan and dang near the entire trunk area and knew better but I got in a hurry, so then I had to pay the stupid tax.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Hard to say from the descriptions but I'd think the fender would be no problem.

But the rust in the seam/lip of the trunk would be hard to totally remove. I'd bet if its pinholing now in a year or three it will rust out from the inside as it would be almost impossibe to get it all out... unless you removed the skin, cleaned and reapplied the skin, which is a PITA job...

Keep the fender, ditch the lid... IMHO.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
You may be able to get by without fixing the fender. If you can weld i think it is very fixable without a patch panel. I wouldn't get the trunk lid though. My original hood had a similar issue. I figured i could just plug weld the holes up but you will find the metal very thin becouse it is rusting from the inside. I eventually got the hood fixed and dumped some rust converter in there to stop the rust, but i wouldn't recommend buying one in that condition.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, it's funny how deceiving certain rust spots can be! Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts