Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Labor only. It's all prepared, waterproofing membrane, everything. All they need to do is thin set and go.

Total of 2 walls, 49 sq. feet total. Large format tile, 12x24. 1 12x12" niche. New construction. I just haven't had the gumption to do it.

The flooring place has quoted me $2100 to do it. I have until next Wednesday to cancel (when they start), and doing it at the last minute would give me great satisfaction.

On the other hand, I know they will do a very good job and guarantee the work. I don't want to have to call around a bunch of people, wait for their quotes, then wait for their availability, and then hope they do a good job.

I just want to know how long I'll have to stay bent over.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
HOLY COW !!! $2100 ?!? I'm in the wrong line of work, I guess, but 49 square feet covered by large tile will happen in a hurry. I have done both of my bathrooms, full 3-side shower surrounds (6x6), half wall around the rest of the bathrooms except for what is covered by the vanity (6x6), and all the floors (12x12), and all the bull nose and trim pieces etc at my own amateur pace and if someone told me I could have been paid $2100 for my time and effort there, I would probably retire from my 23-year career right now !! Watch some YouTube videos, you won't have to bend over much. I did a lot of mine sitting down til I had to stand. Measure, measure, and measure again, lay it out, use tile spacers and pre-mixed thinset and grout, don't worry if you make a mistake and just cut another piece, YOU CAN DO IT !!

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
My two sons just did this for my wife and I.

They are not professional tilers but have a lot of experience tiling with our rental properties. They are good at it.

This is about 165 sq ft of tiles. It took the two of them about 15 hours of labour to tile and grout.

That makes it 9 hours of labour to do your job. At $2,100 that works out to $233 US per hour.

They started with this. It was a nice bathroom but we have to have a low entrance shower.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
My neighbor's brother is a tiler by trade. Based on some of the jobs he's told me about, it sounds similiar. He said my kitchen would be about $4K... 3 walls, partially done, p&l included. I'm sure location has something to do with it as well.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great Patrick.

I could absolutely do this if I wanted to. It's literally a 4'x7' wall and a 32" x 7' wall. Two tiles across max. I've just been in a funk this winter and have had little motivation, though I still have been getting all the remodeling projects finished up. It just takes a lot to get me to do it. I really want to get outside, working on my cars and making hay.

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
You guys have me thinking about tiling my carport.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Seems fair. I would still watch them, as they will most likely just be subcontracted by the tile store, and IME they are usually the cheapest, hence why the store hires them.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems fair. I would still watch them, as they will most likely just be subcontracted by the tile store, and IME they are usually the cheapest, hence why the store hires them.
I had actually asked about this, and it's actually THEIR people, not a subcontractor as many stores do.

Note the $2100 is labor only, doesn't include cost of the tile, thinset, grout, etc.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
The worst is high price low quality which happens all too often. Unless you can get a contractor that somebody else you know has used and liked their work beware.

I have a shower room and a separate tub room and I did a tile backsplash and surround for my tub myself. Very happy with the result and it has held up extremely well. Now that I have had that experience I wouldn't hesitate to do my shower if or when it needs to be done. The hardest part for me was the design and tile selection. I tend to over analyze, do drawings, get samples and wretch over making that kind of a decision but my wretching over it paid off, LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts