Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for a good quality convertible driver 65-67, I came across this 67 older restoration showing some wear with a few rust spots but nothing too horrible. Although some bubbling on the lower passenger side door is a little troubling and the trunk showing some rust as well. It's a C code Automatic (not a GT either) with original engine but some unoriginal stuff under the hood and interior. I would have to give it a good 3 for quality. Also the A/C doesn't blow cold and some of the gauges were not working right. Red with Red interior. We went on a test drive and the car suddenly died on us. After jump start attempts and adding fuel, the seller decided to have it towed later. It would crank but just not start. Anyway I thought I'd wait for him to get it fixed, then test drive it again. He's asking 22,500 for it but I'm thinking it's worth at most $18,000. Assuming it's driving alright after the repair, do you guys think I'm about right on value?
Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For that amount of money he is asking the car should be fully operational and structurally sound. For what he is asking you should be able to pull the carpet back and check for rust on the floor pans.
I bought this one, "restored" in the early 90's. Lot's of work to do on it, but the engine runs like a champ. LOL

I bought it for less than a quarter of your seller's asking price.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Man, that seems really high to me, but it's in line with nada. Take that for what it's worth. I still think I'd try to talk him down some though.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I wouldn't talk him down, I'd just look elsewhere. If he's starting that high with a car in that condition, then I would say he's been watching too much Mecum or has an emotional attachment to the car. Either way, you can get a better car for less.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I can't counter-offer what it's truly worth since his asking is so high. Guess i'll leave it and keep looking. Obviously I don't want to over-pay.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Maybe 12 grand if it gets running properly.sounds like it needs a few things to make it a nice driver.all the stuff adds up quickly in price.look around.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Maybe 12 grand if it gets running properly.sounds like it needs a few things to make it a nice driver.all the stuff adds up quickly in price.look around.
+1. For $20K you can find a nice car with no needs at all. Just turn the key and go.

·
Registered
527 Posts
WAAAY too high a price.

Lets be real. A little bit of rust bubbling though means the body work was not properly done. The work is very suspect and you should expect the problems to get continually worse. If you try to fix it you will likely find the more you peel back the more that needs to get fixed.

You can also expect that the mechanical parts were not restored, so it is likely it is just on old car with a new paint job and interior.

My opinion is that this car is realistically not worth a lot more then an unrestored car. Ya, I know that is not reality, but if you plan on fixing the car you might as well get a car that is not done. At least then you do not have hidden problems.

You are much better off buying a nice rust free southern car that needs paint and interior. Even better, find a nice rust free southern car that has redone.

If your budget is $18,000 you can afford a real nice car in this market especially if you are just looking for a basic car. I suggest that you take some time to learn more about rust, repairs, and how to spot all original metal. Maybe even team up with a local guy to give you some opinions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts