Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 289 back from the machine shop. It already has the Weiand Stealth intake manifold and aluminum heads and oil pan already installed. I have to put on the rest. I am thinking I should install the water pump, HiPo exhaust manifolds, starter, transmission, carburator before I put engine back in car. I am not sure if it would be easier to put accesories like atlernator, power steering pump and fan on before I put back in car, or after. Any input on doing this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Put the accessories on after the engine is in. They will get in the way installing the engine.
I'm going to disagree Tom (rarely btw). I would put it all on IF the radiator is out and the engine bay is ready for it. At most leave the fan off.

However, it can be done either way.

Allen

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
More important, is to install the tranny before or after the install into the bay? Forget about the accessories.....

·
Registered
34,300 Posts
I would install EVERYTHING except the fan and carburetor. Tranny cooler lines, fuel line from pump, brackets, starter and ground cables, radiator hoses, clutch pivot ball.... the works. Also, if you had the block drain plugs out, now would be a good time to replace them with sacrificial zinc anodes.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Drop it in complete. I get a giggle over guys that drop in the longblock and then have to spend days hunched over the fender and crawling around under the car, bolting stuff up. It's a lot easier outside the car. Doing it this way allows you to make sure everything is 100% before it ever goes in. The only thing I don't put on is as Woodchuck noted; fan, carburetor and headers. Those I'll lay in the engine bay.

If Kar Kraft could drop a fully accessorized B429 in, a 289 will practically install itself.

·
Registered
997 Posts
+1 Turnall & +1 Woodchuck just said.

Just installed a 289 with the C4 installed on the 289 in my 66 and would not do it any other way (radiator was out of the car, no fan, no carb, no trans cooling lines). Go slow, have help, and my hoist had a leveler that worked great. One word of advise, I have repo HiPo exhaust, and if I had to do it all over again, I would have installed the exhaust manifold studs while the engine was out of the car and protected/covered them for the install with a rag or something. If you are like me, working in your garage, no lift, on your back under stands, yes.......install the C4 on the engine before install.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
More important, is to install the tranny before or after the install into the bay? Forget about the accessories.....
If you have a full lift and tranny cradle install after the engine otherwise install engine and tranny as one. I always had the complete engine with water pump then install the accessories after installing the engine and trans. That way if you have a mishap lowering the engine in you don't have to buy new stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have always put on everything but fan and the Carburetor. The only reason i don't do the carburetor is because that's where i bolt on the lifting plate to lift the engine and transmission in and out of the car. Way easier access installing that stuff outside of the engine. just have to take your time dropping it into the car. On the other had if you don't have a proper lift and leveler and can't get the really small movement, its best to just install the long block as is less chance of damaging anything. I have pulled engines with old Tractors with old hydraulics that are not very precise and that is SKETCHY!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts