Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have 225/45/17 RE71's. After next weekend on the concrete at Grissom AFB they will be corded. My next set will be 245/40/17 RE71's at 8.6" vs 7.6" width of the current tires. This is the best I can do with on my current 17 x 8" 4.81 BS American, err, communist Chinese, Racing wheels. So I guess I'm set for this year. Even rolling the rear fenders it will be tight in back. -3 camber and +7 caster makes the front no problem other than folding over the excess flange on the front bottom of the front fenders. About 30 seconds per side with a soft hammer fixed that issue.

So I'm not going to be competitive due to the rule changes in CamT, but if I were to try, what can could I get tread wise if I pushed the limits with custom wheel widths and maximum rim diameters?

I posted this on the track section because it is a track/course car. Don't need to hear from anybody with 315's who says that it only rubs at the end of the driveway or when I try to turn!

·
Spammer Hammer
9,531 Posts

And don’t look back...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

And don’t look back...
17's are tight on my front rotors. And I'm under, at best, employed. On mandatory staycation this week.
I think you prob just need to get flares and 18's and go nuts if that's the goal...
I know, and I can do it. It's just such a 100% rust free, including the cowl, car. Just a hardtop though?

·
Spammer Hammer
9,531 Posts
Dude...I tracked a 100% original ‘66 GT all last year. It’s a car. It’s a risk. The level of fun far outweighs the risk. You will regret having spent so much time auto crossing after the first 20 minute session. You’ve already said you’re not going to be competitive without making changes. Move on and have the best time of your life.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dude...I tracked a 100% original ‘66 GT all last year. It’s a car. It’s a risk. The level of fun far outweighs the risk. You will regret having spent so much time auto crossing after the first 20 minute session. You’ve already said you’re not going to be competitive without making changes. Move on and have the best time of your life.
You are passionate about track days! Enjoy! I've got 2 special needs children and no life insurance due to lung issues. My buddy Nick and his brother Brian are always pushing the track days. They have no children. Its just for fun? Even they say it would be a shame to wad that car up.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,531 Posts
Yep. That’s all I’m saying. I auto crossed for a couple of years. Once I transitioned to the track I couldn’t believe how much more fun it was. To be honest, I really don’t think I felt any less safe. Now I was younger then with much higher levels of testosterone.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I hear you. And Clint Eastwood. A man's got to know his limitations/ responsibilities. When I get my SBF Miata!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
You need a min 8 1/2" wheel for the 255's and that would be the max without major surgery I think. My next wheels will probably be 18 x 9, right after the 9" and 3 or 4 link. I can dream, can't I? Maybe IRS?
That's just the recommended wheel width range. You can easily go outside that without any negative consequences. I went .5" beyond the "recommended" tire width on my Boxster (18's), and didn't notice anything negative at all. I would try 255's before I bought new wheels. Like Patrick said, you know you're not going to mod. it enough to be competitive, sometimes you just have to accept any enjoy where you're at.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have 17x9.5 on rear w/ 255/40/17 re71r btw.... rolled lip and could run 275's but like you am limited to 245 up front and my car is low so still managed to hit both fenders somehow even with the lips cut out.

No clue on rule changes, as I also moved on to open track stuff mostly, spending a whole day for minutes of seat time just isn't for me anymore... but will be running the '68 at the bmw autox stuff at tire rack this year if i don't end up breaking the engine again haha.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I spent the morning going ape man with the Eastwood roller on the rear quarters. The directions say you can't use the roller on double wall quarters, I say you can. Thats a workout!

That's just the recommended wheel width range. You can easily go outside that without any negative consequences. I went .5" beyond the "recommended" tire width on my Boxster (18's), and didn't notice anything negative at all. I would try 255's before I bought new wheels. Like Patrick said, you know you're not going to mod. it enough to be competitive, sometimes you just have to accept any enjoy where you're at.
My friend Nick who is a tech at a deanship who mounts and balances and flips my tires on the wheels for free as needed says go with the 245/40/17 RE71's this time so that's what I'm going to do. Because free is budget friendly right now.

No clue on rule changes, as I also moved on to open track stuff mostly, spending a whole day for minutes of seat time just isn't for me anymore... but will be running the '68 at the bmw autox stuff at tire rack this year if i don't end up breaking the engine again haha.
I was looking at the BMW event on July 5 but "45 Driver Event Cap ... Priority naturally goes to BMWCCA members, which is a GREAT reason to join for just $48 and you don't have to own a BMW." so I'm doing the Michiana Porsche event on the 19th instead because everyone is welcome! They just loved my Arvinode exhaust bouncing off the Tire Rack buildings last year! :p

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I spent the morning going ape man with the Eastwood roller on the rear quarters. The directions say you can't use the roller on double wall quarters, I say you can. Thats a workout!

My friend Nick who is a tech at a deanship who mounts and balances and flips my tires on the wheels for free as needed says go with the 245/40/17 RE71's this time so that's what I'm going to do. Because free is budget friendly right now.

I was looking at the BMW event on July 5 but "45 Driver Event Cap ... Priority naturally goes to BMWCCA members, which is a GREAT reason to join for just $48 and you don't have to own a BMW." so I'm doing the Michiana Porsche event on the 19th instead because everyone is welcome! They just loved my Arvinode exhaust bouncing off the Tire Rack buildings last year! :p

View attachment 759248

View attachment 759249
looks like you have plenty of room

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like you have plenty of room
I actually increased the width of the passenger side a 1/4" beyond rolling over the lip and man that quarter was buckling like crazy while I was rolling it. I wish I knew to point of getting all you can out of rolling a fender vs putting a crease right down the middle of the quarter up to the roof panel.

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I actually increased the width of the passenger side a 1/4" beyond rolling over the lip and man that quarter was buckling like crazy while I was rolling it. I wish I knew to point of getting all you can out of rolling a fender vs putting a crease right down the middle of the quarter up to the roof panel.
:poop:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts