Vintage Mustang Forums banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
For stock/street class, you can downside one diameter inch, going to 18's. Cheaper tires, so I'd do that. Continental DWs or something comparable, learn more. Get the RE-71's later,

I have a 2004 WRX and my 'daily' tires are the DW06's. Love them. They're comparable to a snow tire IMO in the winter, which was very surprising to me. For events, I swap on RE-71R's on separate wheels. Last season, I kept them on the car all summer. They lasted, although with near 150 runs (20 some events) they're on the wear bars, with abut 5-10k driving. Something else to consider when dailying a tire is 'heat cycles'. As the tires heat up driving and cool down, their grip will eventually fall off somewhat. Thus, tires used just for events will have more grip than the same ones used to get to work all summer.

I tell this to many newbies and a lot of people just want better times. Stick to some harder compound, less 'cheater' tires for your first season or two. A summer tire will help... Continental DW's, Indy 500's, etc. Get a second set of wheels, 17 or 18's if you can fit them with your brakes as tires will be cheaper. Run these and work on getting a great line down. When they wear out, you may want to get RE-71R's or the Rivals.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I had a crappy day at Grissom AFRB yesterday with the new 245/40/17 Re71's. Front did OK but the rears were Ice Capades. The six figure 71 Camaro competition didn't help my mood. Then I looked back on this thread and realized how low of pressures I was running last year. This Friday I have a nationally ranked SCCA instructor by my side for 15 runs at Grissom. I'll be listening to him, but be equally interested in tire pressures. Its all for fun! BS!!!

The "virus" has killed the test and tune aspect of solo. Hope to learn something Friday!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I thought RE71s were pretty good? Never had any myself. Maybe they will be the next set on the daily driver GTI...

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I went back to Grissom today for the SCCA Starting Line Driver's Edge school. While it was much needed seat time, the SCCA said no instructors in the car due to the virus. I get it, but it made the instruction part of the event pretty much unless. I started out with a 31 second run getting to know the course, and in 20+ runs never got below 30.30. weird for me because I usually drop a couple of seconds from my first run even if I only get 4. This new set of RE71's doesn't pick up rocks like the last set, they were a year old when mounted a few weeks ago. I still have the original rear drum brakes and they were completely gone the last 10 runs. I think I'm done for a least this year even though I've paid for 7 more events.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts