Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I ordered my front rims. They are the 94-04 17 x 9's for the front, which have a 5.95" backspacing.

Should I just take off only 1" or will that risk hitting the upper control arm.

it costs the same to cut off 1.2" which would make the backspacing 4.75" the wheel width would be a little less than 8" - 7.8"

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If it were me, I'd have 1.2" removed to get the BS at 4.75". There's a delicate balance between outside fender rub and inside UCA clearance and 4.75 seems to be the magic number.

Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My MachI wheels have .400" clearance with 1" spacers, 4.72" net backspacing. IMO 1" would do it. It would suck to get it wrong though. You could mount the wheel with spacers to see how much it would take. Take out the spring and move it through the range of travel as well as turning the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My MachI wheels have .400" clearance with 1" spacers, 4.72" net backspacing. IMO 1" would do it. It would suck to get it wrong though. You could mount the wheel with spacers to see how much it would take. Take out the spring and move it through the range of travel as well as turning the steering wheel.
What size rims/tires are you running on the front?

This was the clearance I was worried about. I cannot remember if the picture is a 16" or 17" rim, but it comes close to the upper control arm. I think the 18" rims will clear this interferance.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1199382453-Jan1007018.jpg

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
17x8 with 245/45/17 tires. The area in your pic is were I have .400" clearance. 18" wheels will clear better. Are you running an UBJ spacer? If so that might cause less clearance. Try stacking washers behind the wheel on jacks and see what it takes.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i have about the same amount of clearance on a 16x8 4.5inch backspacing. they get reallllllllllly close to the TCP upper control arms, but they dont touch... but i haven't driven the car with the new wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Ripped said:
This was the clearance I was worried about. I cannot remember if the picture is a 16" or 17" rim, but it comes close to the upper control arm. I think the 18" rims will clear this interferance.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1199382453-Jan1007018.jpg
That looks like the problem with a 16" rim. That's the biggest reason most folks go with 17s.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i think we (16" lovers) are stubborn and prefer being dangerously close instead of one inch bigger and safe

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread and hate to start a new one. For the guys with 16" wheels that interfere with ball joint do you run a spacer? If so what size or does it depend on the backspacing? I am thinking of buying 16x8 TTD's for my 67 with granada disk brakes, but don't know if they will work.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I bought a set of 17 inch Bullit wheels off a 2005 Mustang with the P Nero Zero 245 tires, I put them on the front of my 67 Mustang and they hit the UBJ. I was planning on using the spacers, but your post said you are having your wheels narrowed. Who is doing the work, and what do they charge?

On the rear, I picked up a 71 nine inch rear end and according to the internet, it is about 2 inches wider than my 67 rearend. I am hopping that this means I will not have to do spacers back there. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know if the spring perches are the same distance between the 67 and the 71? Thanks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What 17x9 wheels are you using? I am running the 01-04 ford Bullitt17x8 wheels, 245-45-17 tires with 1" spacers. Even with the spacers, I am very close to the UCA ball joint. I did not measure the clearance, but it looks a lot like your picture.

Here is a link to one place that will narrow wheels.
http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/Wide.htm

I recommend checking our the MustangSteve website for more info on this mod. This is where I first heard about this option. I wish I had thought about this before I spent $100 on front spacers and bought new tires. I would much prefer to be running 17x7s up front with a little narrower tire and no spacers.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
getlive65 said:
i think we (16" lovers) are stubborn and prefer being dangerously close instead of one inch bigger and safe
:lol: Way to live on the edge!

(I just noticed the updated shot of the car in your sig - lookin' good! :thumbup: )

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
ZFORCE said:
your post said you are having your wheels narrowed. Who is doing the work, and what do they charge? Thanks
I'd be curious as to what it costs as well.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
MustangSteve paid $150 per wheel. He commented that nothing rubs (neither at the control arm nor at the fender lip) and that the car steers better. Probably due the the reduced scrub radius (center of wheel closer to the imaginary pivot axis of the spindle).

You can look his car up on the Mustang Monthly website (dark blue 66 fastback). They had an article on him a while ago.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Thanks, I've seen his car in person a couple times as he is local to me. I was curious as to the price as I am looking at some wider wheels that I would have narrowed to get the BS I wanted. I'm looking at a 10.5" wheels and possibly narrowing them to 7" (front) and 8.5" (rear), although $150 a wheel seems a bit steep, it may be cheaper to just buy the wheels I really want...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
ZFORCE said:
I bought a set of 17 inch Bullit wheels off a 2005 Mustang with the P Nero Zero 245 tires, I put them on the front of my 67 Mustang and they hit the UBJ. I was planning on using the spacers, but your post said you are having your wheels narrowed. Who is doing the work, and what do they charge?
I don't know on your second question, but for the first, you would need 1.5" spacers or thereabouts to clear your upper ball joint for the 2005+ wheels. These are cheaper than having your wheels narrowed (less than $100/set vs $150/wheel for the narrowing/rewelding) but narrowing like MustangSteve did looks a lot better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts