Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been asked before, and yes, I did a search but it's not cooperating with me. I think I need a search engine 101 class, because it seems to return every post...

On to my question:

I want to lower my front by 1/2" to 3/4" by cutting the springs. I currently have 620lb 1" drop (grab-a-trak) springs with 302, stock heads and aluminum intake (included to get a relative weight).

How much of the spring do you cut per approximate inch of drop?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have never cut a spring, but I have read enough posts from those who have to tell you that there is no hard and fast rule. The same cut will produce different results on different cars. I would start with a half-coil, reassemble and drive around for a while, then reassess. I know it's a lot of work to do it a half-coil at a time, but once it's cut it can't be un-cut.

·
7,005 Posts
I cut 1/3 of a coil out of my 500 springs and it dropped about 2 inches. IIWY I'd cut a very small amount (like 1" per coil, reinstall, and see what you get. The 1" I'm talking about is along circumfrence of the spring.

If you cut 1/2 a coil you're going to have already cut too much on a 620 spring!

Phil

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I cut mine, I used some logic that seemed to work out pretty well. First measure the distance from the center of a coil to the center of the next coil on the car with the weight of the car on the tires. Lets say that measures 1 inch for an example. So cutting a coil would lower the car 1 inch right? WRONG!!!! the spring is about center of the control arm so cutting a coil off of the spring will lower the car 2 inches. So to lower the car 1 inch remove 1/2 a coil in this example. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I cut out 1 coil on my new stock height springs and the car lowered about 3 inches. I would seriously take a little bit at a time. I like it low, the speedbumps aren't too fun though.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They should be cut with a torch, not a blade, right?? That's what I've heard... never cut springs myself.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for refernce sake, I ended up cutting the springs 6.25" and that set the car down just under an inch. It seems that AustinMustang's logic applied here. Of course, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you are running stock springs, or anything other than 620lb springs, you might not want to use this as a reference, as your results may be different.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
They should be cut with a torch, not a blade, right?? That's what I've heard... never cut springs myself.
I used a cut-off wheel in my grinder. Took about 10 seconds per coil. Can't think how that could be a problem. On the other hand I'd think the heat from using a torch could cause some unpredictable changes in the strength of the steel. But, then again, it's 1:30 a.m. and I'm not thining particularly straight. Wish I could fall asleep.

- Gord

1 - 9 of 9 Posts