Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get a Flaming River 16:1 box, Shelby quick steer kit and the Cobra Auto bearing kit for the idler arm? I know it will be quicker, but will the FR box and bearing kit take some of the beastliness out of parking lot manuevers at low speeds? I'll be running 225/60-15s in front. I still can't see my way clear to put out the $$ for the TCP rack....but I want the best I can get short of that for handling. Any input??

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have the quick steer kit and bearing equiped idler arm on
a munual box. The steering is a tad stiff during slow turns.
With the 16-1 box it would be worse... In my opinion it would
be worth to get more accurate steering. You won't need to go to the gym anymore thats for sure *G*

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Scotty - As already mentioned, the quick steering ratio along with the longer (Shelby) pitman arm will make the car more difficult to steer at low speeds.

The bearings in the idler should reduce steering effort slightly, but is mostly done to improve steering accuracy, I would think. I kinda doubt that you would be able to notice the difference in effort from a bushed arm, though.

In any case, big tires and manual steering are gonna be a compromise. The car will feel better at speed and in the turns, but be more of a handful in a parking lot.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
refresh my memory again - WHY aren't you putting power steering on????? heck, even my Boss 302 has p/s and I can't imagine parking that sucker at shows with the 245 60R15s up front.

I originally had not planned on p/s for Xtreme, HOWEVER, with the addition of the 17 x 8 TT II with 225 40 ZR17s up front, p/s has suddenly been bumped to the top of the list....

randy

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because my pockets are too shallow for the TCP MANUAL rack, I certainly can't justify the power R&P. Mine is not so back now, with 215/60-15s on front, I think I can manage 225s, at least for few more years, then maybe someone will undercut TCP and I can afford a power rack......until then, I'm not willing to pay their price. Now if an enterprising young man like yourself would lend his powers of good towards developing a rack for the masses, then I'm in!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
re:until then, I'm not willing to pay their price. Now if an enterprising young man like yourself would lend his powers of good towards developing a rack for the masses, then I'm in!
-----------------------------------------
Amen to that!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts