Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal. Im on a very tight budget because of college, but i want to get my mustang road worthy this summer. It is going to be a rolling restore, but ill be very happy to drive it around(i don't care what the outside looks like this summer.

option one standard exhaust. How much would that cost?

option two headers and new pipes. Im looking to buy JBA shorty headers. List price on their site is 499. but i know list prices are alway high. How much would it be if i went that way.

thanks in advance,
robert scully

ps like the new forum.

G

·
0 Posts
I would advise against getting cheap standard exhaust, you will likely regret it sooner or later.
If you don't have your heart set on the shorty's, you can check out Hooker headers. Mine were less than $200 new for the pair with collectors. A good system from the collectors back will be about $250 more. Maybe consider stainless or a thicker wall pipe.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I couldn't tell which year car you have (you should add it to your sig line and/or profile), but most of the larger vendors sell a complete duals kit to fit 65-70 cars (made by Walker) for about $170 complete, IIRC. It is aluminized, so it should last a while. CJ Pony Parts comes to mind as one of the vendors advertising this system, but most of them sell it.

I bought Headman shorties for my 66 for about $100 from JEG's. Bear in mind that whenever you put headers on your car, you'll most likely have to get an exhaust shop make you a custom H-pipe - so count on an additional $75 for that.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I think I paid about $350 for my JBA's, and had the local, highly recommended mufler shop (stay far away from the national rip-off chains like Midas) build a custom 2 1/4" mandrel bent system for another $325. The muffler shop price included everything from the backs of the headers to the exhaust tips (including all mounting hardware, labor, and Dynomax super turbo mufflers).

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Registered
673 Posts
$339? WHERE????????????? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thespazardman

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my god i forgot about my profile.

still thought the old one was there lol.....
ill fix that
i have a 65 coupe with a 289 in it

G

·
0 Posts
If you dont plann on lowering your car 2+ inches or plan on going off-roading in your stang i personally dont think you need shortys.I have tri-ys i got for cost ($60) and they dont even hang down very low ( the power steering hangs down because of the lowering bracket, which looks unneccessary cuz it looks like it will clear the headers without it. i am considering puttingthe old bracket back on). Bought 2 chamber flowmasters for $69.99 from Jegs. and had a local muffler shop make a custom 2 1/4 exhaust system including the H-Pipe new custom collectors and tips for $235. for a grand total of less than what your Shortys will cost you.

1968 Mustang Coupe - Daily driver
289, holley 600 carb, holley street dominator intake, petronix ignition, Accel Super Stock Coil, Tri-Y Headers, 2 1/4" 2 chamber Flowmasters, C4 and 2.79 rearend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts