Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....Classic Mustang! Went to a "local" cruise-in tonight, 1 1/2 hours each way, down and back with only seeing one deer.Made it until about ten miles from home, rounded a curve and right smack in the middle of my lane was an enormous porcupine, and wouldn't you know it a car in the oncoming lane -first car I had seen in 20 miles I'd bet. With the 66 converts top down and drum brakes all around no time to stop, I did my best to center him up-or at least he seemed to do his best, a couple of loud clunks later and one shaven porcupine. I didn't even want to stop and look-figured I'd better get her home before the radiator or oil pan etc .etc.. I figured he had to at least get the front valence and oil pan. I guess I lucked out, got the stang home ok and put it up on the lift, looks like the power steering hose bracket to frame was the lowest thing on the car, the rubber insulator is full of quills, luckily none went into the hoses, the boot on the power steering ram also took quite a few, as did the tie rod boots, a couple went into the seat access hole plugs, and looks like last contact was with the left hand muffler, as a few are wedged in the seems/clamp area. Pretty lucky I guess-none in the tires or radiator that I could see-guess he must have ducked good with a stang roaring over him at 60 mph! Now I will have to get the needlenose pliers out in the morning and figure out how to pull all those thorns out without jabbing myself /forums/images/icons/smile.gif .

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Wow, that is unique. Will you take photos before you pull the quills? I had the same experience with a huge racoon or possum. The darn thing was almost off the interstate, then stopped and turned around, walked right into the path of my 80 mph car. I had a newly installed, freshly painted fibreglass combination spoiler and valance. I centered on the beast and the spoiler kind of scooped it up so that it hit square on the license plate. the critter went for its first flight and my valance/spoiler took a nice split down the middle. Ruined it, but no other damage. Glad that you are ok and that the car made it through the experience.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought about taking some pictures, sounds like a good idea. My friend riding with me was also thankful ,his motor mount broke yesterday on the way home from work - we were suposed to have taken his car - which has a Shelby style R model front valence-it probably would have scooped the rascal right up and into the radiator!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts