Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my car. It's going to need a new exhaust system in a little while. To compliment the new motor and the vibe of the car I was thinking the Shelby side exhaust in 2.25". What do you guys think? Here's my 66.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
Depends on what you pick for mufflers. You can get ovals with in/out on the same end that aren't too bad. FYI, depending on your state inspection requirements you may have to disable the quarter windows.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I personally wouldn't want something so loud as to bother others. That said, I'd much rather hear a really loud growling V8 exhaust than some of the open window bass KA-THUMPING I hear these days. One is loud music to my ears. The other truly annoying noise.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I've got spintech side exit mufflers on mine, they're a 2.5" muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same side. I think they sound great and love the sound, they're louder like a flowmaster in that you'll be heard from a couple blocks away but nothing crazy. I've heard glass packs are pretty loud.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I have that same kit in 2.5" and I am not going to use it. I would let it go cheap, like $100 + shipping, if you want to step up the the, apparently, absurdly large, 2.5" pipes. I opened the box and took everything out but I think I can promise it comes with almost everything they sent.

There is a video somewhere of Jay Leno driving his very original GT350 around LA and it just sounds amazing with the classic glasspacks. These engines sound so good with old school glasspacks that I literally would punch anyone who runs garbage sounding Flowmasters on these cars.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Only if you don't mind looking and sounding like a broke hillbilly. Lol growing up in southwest MO every and I mean EVERY broke *** hillbilly had side exit exhaust and glass packs. Wasn't a fan then and not a fan now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
well my 66 460 powered wagon had 2.5" in side exit in front of the rear tires. it had the no longer made edelbrock rpm race mufflers that were actually straight threw glass packs. when i stomped it people freaked out. it was very loud, i mean abnoxious loud, earsplitting loudenbommer loud. it was so loud people way ahead of me would look in their rear view when i stomped it. i like rear exit exhaust or Thrush aluminum side pipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats a sucker kit. Buy a pair of Cherry bombs and make friends at the muffler shop.The hardest decission will be where to hang from, the pinch weld? Floor pan? Didnt use to matter >:)
I plan to have side dumps but both out the passenger side before I tackle the rear end change.
Lol, that partially describes me at this time. My kid in college is sucking me dry. I'm like the Link's song, Low Budget.

I've given thought to something similar to your plan. I've toyed with a single 3" pipe with a transverse mounted muffler. The 3" will flow more then 2, 2.25" pipes and weigh less. I think with the "Y" pipe scavenging would be pretty good. I'll have to see where I can get mandrel bent 3" pipe.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts