·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a 65-66 Mustang (any bodystyle) that has been modified with:

* new (93 or later) 3.8l or 5.0l engine
* Tremec AOD transmission
* 4-wheel disc brakes

Are these cars out there and I'm not looking in the right place?

G

·
0 Posts
I would like to know what they go for so I know how to price the one I will be selling. It is a 66 coupe from California with a rebuilt 289 topped with a 93 style EFI, C-4 trans. My belief is that they should sell for a premium based on the fact that someone with very little mechainal skills could purchase the car and not have to worry so much about the small adjustments that are needed with a carbed engine.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My car appraiser has a `65-`66 convertible with a 5 litre and AOD. Also has the factory AC from the 5 litre donor car. British Racing Green with Palamino Pony interior. He just returned from a big US tour with no problems to speek of. I don't know if it's for sale but he does sell his cars.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a 3.8L car yet....

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I got a 65 FB with a carbed 351c stroked out to 410 cubes with an AOD and 4 wheel disc brakes......make me an offer over $25k and it yours. ::

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
My belief is that they should sell for a premium based on the fact that someone with very little mechainal skills could purchase the car and not have to worry so much about the small adjustments that are needed with a carbed engine.
This is probably the complete opposite of how the world works ;) Seriously you might find someone who will fall for that but a little fiddling with a carb is a lot easier than debugging an EFI setup. "Race Cars" run carbs 'cause you can change the primary portion of the fuel delivery system with 4 bolts ::

Don't expect premiums from the list of parts you installed, can it comes to modified cars; expect premiums for the quality of work and the demand for your specific take on "the best setup".

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm waiting for the first person to take out the whole front sheetmetal and suspension/engine combo from a 69/70 and swapping it for a FWD set up with a 3.8. There is plenty of room, you would have to do some creative mounting of the subframe, but the wheelbase looks right. Not that there would be much advantage to it, but it would be neat.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
something like:
V8 or I6 (need the V8 mounts) base car with full body restororation or "free of rust" car. No use in starting with less.
Fatman Fab kit with donor 93 and up spindles and struts as noted in the needs section of the kit.
EFI conversion kit from Windsor-Fox on a Ford 5.0 crate motor.
T5 & conversion kit from Modern Driveline.
Rear disk brake conversion kit from SSB.
Dual MC conversion for Disk brakes.
All misc. parts that don't come in any of the kits.
Wheels, tires and lots of labor!

Better be a labor of love! Trying to get someone to part with all of these conversions would be like a near death experience for them.

One of those built by a fabricator has to be in the 15 to 20k range, probably more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts