Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've tearing the stang apart for a couple days now and I've got alot of chrome thats pitted up. So how pitted is too pitted to be rechromed and have it look really good?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Honestly, my guess is that you can buy NOS pieces for about the same price as rechroming.

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
Pits are not good when it comes to chroming. If there is any way to remove the pits, (by polishing) it would help.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Get the opinion of a chrome shop, the plating process requires polishing, and applying nickle to fill pits.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I had some pretty bad pitting on the chrome trim pieces when I installed the folddown seat on my 68. These pieces were (are?) not available, so rechroming was my only option. They turned out better than I had hoped.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well,
I am not speaking from experience but here goes.
i suspect that as long as the piece is still recognizable then it can be rechromed. the quality of the job is just like painting. The quality is in the preparation. All the pits add to prep costs.

The pits can be filled with copper. the copper part of the process is primarily the filler. The nickel and chrome follows. This is the triple plate, sometimes referred to as "show chrome".

Pot metal pieces are the most susceptable to pitting. There is a product called solder it by caswell. this is for filling pits in pot metal prior to chroming. In fact if you vistit the caswell site they sell kits for just about any task.

They say pot metal is very dificult to get right. These kits also do not provide instant excellent results. It takes practice.

I have been thinking of using something like this.

Has anyone heard of these guys, or used them?

I think the site is caswell.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts