992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to familiar with 64-68 stangs. Is this
a code car fairly rare?

Sluggo

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
289 V8 with a 4 barrel. It isn't very rare but it is nice engive option to have. It is one step up from the base V8 with 225 hp. I beleive with the engine code it would be eligible to be a GT model.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Not particularly rare, but not particularly common. Basically, the bigger and/or more powerful the original engine, the more valuable the car is. So an 'A code' will usually be worth more than a 'C code', which is more valuable than a 'T code'.

Of course part of the value, though, is based on original options, and a large part of the value is based on the car's condition.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
The 289 4v A code is a nice package, especially if its a GT. My dad had one (I've got it now, awaiting its restoration), and I remember him telling me how years ago he "raced" a regular c-code non-GT, which a friend had also purchased, around some highway onramps getting onto the freeway. In short, the race was decided rather quickly -- the firmer suspension and slightly more robust engine made for a totally different car, especially on the twisty bits. So the A code engine, especially with manual tranny, is a definite plus.
Now an S-code - a different car AGAIN - that is one which would make a muscle car into a MUSCLE car - just ask Steve McQueen :: So, like said above, the higher the horsepower, the more rare and thus higher the price.
As far as the GT models, any V8 - C, A, or S code- was eligible for the GT option in '67.
If memory serves (check previous threads on this), about 30 000 Mustangs were A-codes in 67.
Hope that helps .... my 2¢ :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Any 67 V8 fastback carries a premium now.

Randy, the alignment job on the Shelby was first rate. Felt great driving it home. Too bad the rear main let go and now the motor is coming out of the car.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear about the rear main.
But I'm glad you are happy with my work :D

Sluggo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts