Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a K-code coupe with a bench seat for $7,500. It needs restoration and the owner states it's 90% rust free, whatever that means? I've got a call into him to get some more details, but how rare are the K-codes with benches, and let's say this is a non-running project, and maybe needs the floors replaced or something to that affect, would it be worth $7500 if the hipo is still there?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can't say for an early HiPo car, but if you use the 67 HiPo as a gauge. THERE WERE 10 HiPo BENCH SEAT COUPES BUILT IN 1967 (didn't check on verts). So, that is about 2% of the HiPo production for that year. I don't have what the Hipo Production was 1966, but, it is still a very small percentage of the total and the bench would have to be quite rare. Of, course "statistic provdied by Marti Auto Works" .
The price doesn't sound to bad if the HiPo engine, trans and 9" rear end is there. The cost for engine parts can add up if a lot of the little pieces aren't there. Good Luck!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Whizco,

I thinkg I got the same email this morning for that car. I'm not sure on the numbers but if its original, it sounds rare.

G

·
7500 is a very fair price if the motor and tranny are there and the car is restorable. According the the Hi-Po registry...with about 700 k mustnag s registered we only recorded 9 with a bench seat. That out of all 3 years. It ends up being 2.65% of the registry. that seems to line up close with Kevin Marti's numbers. Kevin has turned up some more good date, I'm sure his numbers are good. I would buy the car if I were you. Just check it out close.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The Mustang Red Book indicates only 5,469 '66 Hi-Po's were produced out of a total production run of 607,568 units. Which is what, 1 percent of production?. Any bench seat Hi-Po has to be super unusual.

Yes, I think it would be worth the asking price if the running gear is still there, but not because it has a bench seat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm sure a K code with a bench seat is extremely rare, but I do not think it adds much to the value. Its value is probably right in line with any other K-code coupe. You would, however, have something 'unique', and it would get attention at car shows, etc...

G

·
The best I can remember it was NINE registered in the 64.5-67 "K" code registry. I have recently turned over the stwardship of the registry to Marv Shaner, you could have him double check for you. Not every car registered had an interior code. Some cars had vins still present but doors missing, etc. So you couldn't always get the whole set of numbers. It is a rare option but I don't see it adding much value because everone wants buckets anyway. It is a rare car though. Marv can be contacted at [email protected]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

I’m helping Marv and Tony with the registry. I built the HiPoMustang website and also the database that collects the online registry data. Based on right-now stats, there are exactly five 1966 65C interior cars listed. I’d say pretty rare. But to reiterate what Tony said, there are several cars listed in the registry without interior codes. Be sure to register the car at http://www.hipomustang.com if you purchase it.

Hope that helps,
Hank

·
Registered
757 Posts
Here are some recent sales...
66 GT K code coupe with motor and trans, missing carb, restorable project, 95% Rust free...I missed it for $5000.
66 GT k code coupe running driving project, mostly rust free $~5900

I would place a higher value on the GT cars than a bench seat car.

Approx. values of powertrain:
K motor complete $2500-3000
Rear axle $600-1200
Trans: $400-700

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good way to put it in perspective! Depending on options and how truly rust free the car is, the price may be a bit high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts