Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, I'm sure this topic has been beat to death... but.. I got my marti report back and according to it the car is one of one using only a couple of the options the car had. He didn't even take into account A/C and a couple other things

My question, is that really a big deal? I can't image that it is? Right now I building a high hp cleveland(org block) with aluminum heads and a built AOD. I love mustang and have my entire life..

Is this one of those cars to bring back to completely stock?

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.

some more info just to share on what I have been working on..
Did the brakes and ball joint(still had the org.) I built the short block this past weekend and I'm now measuring for push rods. I have given up on the body work and am taking to a shop, 6500.00 is the cheapest I have gotten to complete the car. Is was media blasted and to my surprise NO rust! Its been a great project so far...

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think you should build it up the way your mind has it visualized. I’m not an expert on the 351s (I’ve got the 289 motor) however unless there is something on the option list that screams out to you, I think you should go with your imagination and do what you want.

·
Vendor
3,854 Posts
It's rare in that it's loaded up pretty nicely with desirable options, and your color combo (especially the factory white interior) is attractive.

Mechanically I don't think there's any reason to deviate from your intended plan (just keep the original parts you don't use), but aesthetically I'd be going back to your original color combos and equipment, as the car is specced so well...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. I found a body shop that was recommended to me by a couple co-workers. He is at 6000.00 even to take it from bare metal to a completion with PPG paint and he say 6 coats of euro clear and guaranties no orange peel.

Sound like a good deal?

He also wants to paint on the hood strips instead of vinyl and than taping it off and sanding with 3000-4000 grit to give it the matte black look without an edge that you can feel.

·
Vendor
3,854 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I found a body shop that was recommended to me by a couple co-workers. He is at 6000.00 even to take it from bare metal to a completion with PPG paint and he say 6 coats of euro clear and guaranties no orange peel.

Sound like a good deal?

He also wants to paint on the hood strips instead of vinyl and than taping it off and sanding with 3000-4000 grit to give it the matte black look without an edge that you can feel.
Everything sounded good until you got to the last part.... Which indicates (to me) that this shop doesn't know 1970 Mach 1's well, nor does their suggestion make sense (to me).

The 1970 Mach 1 hood stripes ARE painted on from the factory, there never was any hood decal... except.... The only vinyl are the 351 numbers. And it's supposed to be a textured black paint to be correct, no clear over it, not sanded smooth, and who cares if there's an edge, it's supposed to be that way.

Unless you're going really custom with the exterior styling of the car, it makes decent sense to do the cosmetic details as-original, that way your car is EASILY transformable, i.e. if someday you decide that you've had your fun with the hot Cleveland and overdrive tranny, you can put it all back to original without having to re-do any paintwork.

That's a conscious decision that you need to arrive at, whether or not your modifications are going to be of the "easily reversible" kind. So far, they are of that kind. But once you spend $6-8 grand at a bodyshop for a paint job that's either "wrong" in color or "wrong" in stripes/details, then you've really committed yourself to the restomod, and reversing the work becomes very expensive either for you or a potential future owner.

It's all about doing what you want to do, but it's also always good to be informed before leaping!! :)

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
id say yes its a big deal if you go messing with everything in theree and so called resto modding it to the max.

but no if you keep it original and imo there nothing wrong with working the motor so long its its done right or prof and runs great and so long as you leave it as a C

again imo what would hurt a 1 of is if you go chopping it up both inside and out

if it were me with a 1 of id return it back to bone stock, but thats just me

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Every Mustang is 1 of 1 if you take the VIN into consideration.

This 1 of 1 stuff is vastly overrated. I'll bet any 67 with cruise control is 1 of 1. You think that adds 100% to the value?

1 of 1 is only significant if you are talking the big options - body style, engine, tranny, interior, rear axle.

Your car is relatively common with respect to the options mentioned above so do what you want.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Every Mustang is 1 of 1 if you take the VIN into consideration.

This 1 of 1 stuff is vastly overrated. I'll bet any 67 with cruise control is 1 of 1. You think that adds 100% to the value?

1 of 1 is only significant if you are talking the big options - body style, engine, tranny, interior, rear axle.

Your car is relatively common with respect to the options mentioned above so do what you want.
Ditto. Think about it. How many different combination of options, drivetrain, colors, etc., were available back then? Thousands. So that makes thousands of possible "1 of 1" Mustangs back then. So are they still rare when there are thousands of them?

·
Vendor
3,854 Posts
I think the point here is that there's "good rare" and "who cares rare" and "really bad rare" (example: "I have the only no-option 170 3-speed '65 coupe ever made in Cascade Green with Red interior).

The factory white interior (I believe) is a desirable option to have, and is relatively rare. Not super rare, just relatively... And the white interior looks really slick with his Bright Blue Metallic... Done up right, this car has the potential to be a real stunner without having to alter a thing. Pile on the nice array of desirable options, factory a/c, power brakes and steering, original slats and spoiler, and I think it qualifies on the side of "good rare".

Colors and options contribute considerably to value, especially when they tie to your Marti. The only disappointment is the H-code and the lack of fold-down.

Don't get me wrong, I also think that too much is made of "one-of-XXX" status, as it's common to see that. I'm just trying to encourage this particular poster, because his car is optioned in a way that's not only somewhat unique, but makes for a nice final car should he stick with the program.

I've always felt that if you had a car that had great original colors and options, it's a bit crazy to toss-aside those lucky assets. It makes more sense to "change things" when the original features were either scant or undesirable..

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
hey Rick, that 65 is a great example of really really bad rare. but heck id love to have it non the less :)

·
Vendor
3,854 Posts
Sometimes "bad rare" is also alot of fun, I tend to leave those types of cars stock as well, just because they generate alot of laughs, interest/curiosity and a certain charm... But when you tell people how "rare" it is, you've gotta do it with a good sense of humor.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
For me the medium blue metallic with white interior would be fantastic regardless of any other options!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts