Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a '71 Mach I for sale the other day with light pewter metallic exterior and dark green interior. Paint job was terrible so I figured someone just changed the exterior color but when I decoded the car it came up as original that way. Does anyone know how many were made this way?

Don't know how rare it is but it sure was unusual. I actually kinda liked it.

·
Registered
35,887 Posts
The by the numbers book will list that combo. Not common, though, I've never seen it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never seen that combo before either. I don't have that book. Have the elite marti report for my car but just never got around to the book. Guess I need to get one.

I stopped and looked at the car because my son (not quite 15) was hounding me about it. Nothing special past the color combo but priced like it was gold, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Rare color combo, yes; desirable, no. In other words, rarity doesn't necessarily mean it's worth more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the production number. I understand that rarity does not always equate to $$$, but after chasing mustangs for 25-30 years and never having seen one that way, I was guessing it had to be an unusual combo.

Thanks again.

·
Vendor
3,878 Posts
That's correct, 189 built.... The reason it shows zeros for coupes and convertibles is because "5R" is a Mach 1 specific interior code.

I for one really dig Mustangs with odd-color interiors. To me, anything, and I mean ANYTHING.... is better than black.

I used to have a Pewter '73 Mach with ginger interior (1 of 71), and it was a very attractive combination.

Green interiors are funky, which is right in tune with that era. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In actuality, I had to open the door completely and shine enough light on the interior to tell it was dark green and not black. I'm not a big fan of "green" anything myself but my son loved it. Dk. green is his favorite color and the uniqueness of the car appealed to him.

But, then again, right now any old (60"s & 70's) muscle type car appeals to him. I have to say I'm happy about that but he is driving me crazy at the same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts