Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I would like to remove my 1 barrel carb and put a 2 barrel carb on my 65 mustang with an inline 6. I am really new to wrenching on these vehicles, but dont want to pay to have it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
To put a 2 barrel on the I6 you're going to need an adapter. Probably something like this.

You're probably also going to need to modify the gas pedal linkage and figure out what to do with the PCV, gas, and distributor advance lines.

If you're still running the original distributor you'll need to swap it out or try to find a 2 barrel that has a spark control valve. The original carb and distributor are a matched set and won't run right without each other.

There's some good info over here that might help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is your head original? If you have a head from late '69 on, your adapter would be different from the early head's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yea its a bigger job than just simply swapping the carbs. There is a lot of good info on vintage inlines, I'd suggest doing the 32/36 swap. I am about to do one on my 200 as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. I would like to remove my 1 barrel carb and put a 2 barrel carb on my 65 mustang with an inline 6. I am really new to wrenching on these vehicles, but dont want to pay to have it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Thanks for your info. Regarding the distributor, I have removed the points and condenser and replaced it with petronix electronic ignition. Is tha what you're talking about? Can you be more detailed on the PC and gas linkage? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No the whole distributor will need to go, the stock one won't work without the factory carb. Something like the DUI street/strip will be required. Also the re routing of the lines is just because the new carb won't have the inlets in the same place as the autolite 1100

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
The best way to do this is to mill the carb mount to open it so a 2 barrel carb fits. The Ford 2100 works well but there are other options. There are lots of details on the Vintage inlines web site, They also sell a book on how to improve this engine.

vintageinlines.com- Ford inline performance parts

If you are serious about doing this, you should locate a 1970 or later “Large Log” head. These later heads have intake manifolds that are 20-30% larger. This will allow you to get the most out of the bigger carb.

As noted previously, you’ll need a new distributor. The current dizzy you have is closely tied to the old 1100 carb and requires a Spark Control Valve (SCV). You won’t find one of these on a 2 barrel carb. The easiest things to do is buy a dizzy for a 68 Mustang. You can of course upgrade to a 70s Duraspark electronic ignition.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
There's way more info than you ever wanted to know about the distributor over here.

Just in case you've got time on your hands and really want to dig in to why you'll need to swap it out too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea its a bigger job than just simply swapping the carbs. There is a lot of good info on vintage inlines, I'd suggest doing the 32/36 swap. I am about to do one on my 200 as well.

Sorry, what is the swap you mentioning. Not sure what that is. Thanks.Thanks to all for your help with this!
The best way to do this is to kill the carb mount to open it so a 2 barrel carb fits. The Ford 2100 works well but there are other options. There are lots of details on the Vintage inlines web site, They also sell a book on how to improve this engine.

vintageinlines.com- Ford inline performance parts

If you are serious about doing this, you should locate a 1970 or later “Large Log” head. These later heads have intake manifolds that are 20-30% larger. This will allow you to get the most out of the bigger carb.

As noted previously, you’ll need a new distributor. The current dizzy you have is closely tied to the old 1100 carb and requires a Spark Control Valve (SCV). You won’t find one of these on a 2 barrel carb. The easiest things to do is buy a dizzy for a 68 Mustang. You can of course upgrade to a 70s Duraspark electronic ignition.
Thanks so much!
Thanks for your info. Regarding the distributor, I have removed the points and condenser and replaced it with petronix electronic ignition. Is tha what you're talking about? Can you be more detailed on the PC and gas linkage? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its the weber 32/36 carb. All the info will be on vintage inlines, there's a wealth of knowledge on there

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts