Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the windshield and rear window seals on a 1966 Mustang coupe. I have reliable rubber but dont know if I should do this one myself. Any tips on how to avoid breaking the glass. Anyone know of any reliable instructions from website or magazine that you could direct me to? Thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
To quote Clint Eastwood: "A man's gotta know his limitations." If it was me I'd get a professional to do it. Besides the risk of breaking glass, it's a royal pain if you have to do it again because you have leaks, and these suckers will leak! Mark

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yeah if your not a big fan of patience...I'd let pro do it.
Because you bend a piece of chrome or crack that glass...oh then the tantrums start. Not saying I have doen that *Cough*..but the driveway was messy for a while.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I did mine and I didn't think it was bad at all. Just don't get in a hurry. I was replacing my windshield anyway, so I wasn't afraid of breaking it. It was good practice before removing the almost irreplaceable rear fastback glass. I didn't break either one.

Joe

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I tried on my 68 to replace the front seal, broke the windshield within two minutes of starting, same thing last month when I tried to do a 91 windshield. No more for me, I'm call payless auto glass next time.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have done a few. Just take your time. Another tip is to put string inside the "jamb" of the gasket. As you pull the string out it opens the "jamb" or "Pinch point" of the rubber allowing it to wrap around the pinch weld on the body. I would cut the old rubber and peel it off the glass when removing the glass from the car. The hardest part in my mind is putting back the stainless. Good luck.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I removed my front and rear glass to install a new headliner. I went very slow. Patience.... After installing the headliner, I had a professional reinstall the glass. I was worried about a good seal.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
my dad and i did mine in about and hour, and it was fustrating and messy (we put a little urithane into the groove), so if i could have afforeded for someone else to do it i would have

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have done a couple of them. Pulling them out is easy. Popping them back in is not to bad either. The B*tch is cleaning up the black butyl caulk when you are done. Charles Turner did a pretty good write-up a while back. I followed it to the letter (ok, maybe not to the letter, but you get the idea). I will save you some time doing a search for it. I saved it and converted it to a PDF. You can find it HERE

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
A couple of hints:

I did not put near enough sealant in the joints the FIRST time I put it in. Leaked like a sieve. There can be very large gaps between the body and the rubber.

Use windex and a razor blade to clean the sealant off the glass. Works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
If you REALLY want to do it, try the rear glass first. It is easier to put in. If you overstress it, it will shatter, as opposed to the front, which will crack. The good news is a coupe rear glass is close to a throw away part, as opposed to the front which is $$.

I have pulled maybe 300 - 500 glasses out, and broke a few early on. They do not like being tweaked.

To put one in, consider finding one of those trucks that hang out at Burger King or McDonalds at lunch, with all the windshields in the back, find the person who drives it, and toss them $20 to $50 to install your glass CORRECTLY. Lot less cost that breaking the front glass.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Everyone has made very good points on this job. It is not a difficult procedure but does require patience and an extra pair of hands.

Scott

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've only done it once for each, but it was not too bad a job. To me the hardest part was getting the trim off with out messing it up. Need to develop a feel for those spring clips. Once the trim was off, I cut the gasket on the outside of the car by running a blade parallel to the windshield, basically held the blade against the windshield and cut through the gasket. With this done there is nothing other than gravity holding the glass in. Then a helper assisted with lifting out the glass. Before reinstalling tape the outside of the car so any goop that comes out can be removed with the tape. Reinstall the spring clips before replacing the glass (I put the glass in first and it was a pain to get the clips in place, but it can be done.) Put the windshield sealing goop into the weaher seal track that goes against the windshield and place the seal on the windshield. I used 3M stuff recommended by Virginia Classic Mustang, sorry I do not remember the number. DO NOT use the glue stuff!)Put some goop in the weather seal track that goen on the lip of the car body. Place a 1/4 to 3/8" string into the same track, the ends of the string should hang out the bottom center. Cover the dash pad to keep goop off it. With a helper position the bottom of the windshield on the bottom flange, with the ends of the string hanging inside the car. Pull on the string to get the weather strip to form over the flange. You will be inside the car, your helper should be outside the car applying gentile pressure to the windshield in the area where you are pulling the string. Work slowly and carefully. After you have the weather strip completely over the flange, the windshield should be seated in it's proper position. I then went to the outside of the car and used a popsicle stick to lift the edge of the weather stripping and forced in more goop, paying particular attention to the corners. Now for the hard part - clean up. I do not know how others do it, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it! HTH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts