Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a set of vinyl wood grain center console appliques for my '66 convertible. Mine is camera case black, so I know the appliques will require a backing. I have read all the postings about applying the wood grain appliqués to consoles. I also understand that there is one vendor who sells a very nice metal-backed set of appliqués (that I cannot afford).

So I plan on purchasing a sheet of either aluminum or sheet metal and making my own metal backing. From what I hear, the appliqués come in pieces. My question is this:

What is the best tool/method to cut the pieces? My plan was to peel and stick them to the metal sheet, and then use tin snips (heavy duty scissors) to cut around the individual vinyl pieces to get the exact shape. My concern is that the snips will create curled edges that will look like crap. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
Yeah. Cut the backing first, then attach the wood appliqué.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How will I know the exact shape to cut unless I put the appliqué on the metal? Also, don't I risk putting the appliqué on crooked if I cut the metal first?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not familiar with the applique, but can you cut it out with scissors without peeling off the backing, turn it upside down, tape it tightly to the steel, and then spraypoint or draw around the outside? That would show you where to cut the steel.

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
How will I know the exact shape to cut unless I put the appliqué on the metal? Also, don't I risk putting the appliqué on crooked if I cut the metal first?
Fit the metal to the console, using paper patterns if you have to, first. The plastic wood stickers are only kinda-sorta the right shape, if you cut the metal to fit them, you'll end up throwing the whole project in the trash.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have the original metal backings from my console. I used them to make new inserts. I used a roll of aluminum roof flashing. I placed the original inserts on the aluminum. I scored the aluminum with a utility knife using the orignal inserts as a guide. I placed a straight edge along the scored line and carefully bent the alunimum. The aluminum will split along the scored line.

I gave up on the woodgrain applique..none of the sets I tried were even close to correct as far as fit goes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ATaylor - good idea for getting paper/cardboard templates.

22GT - then I can lay these on the console and refine the shape, then make metal pieces from these.

Thanks to both of you for ideas.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,633 Posts
Scoring and breaking is about the best way to keep from warping the aluminum. I hold it down flat and use a sanding block with something like 220 grit sand paper to remove edge burrs. 100 grit for worse problems. If it's a bit too big I've used a coarse "sanding roll" on a Dremel to take an extra 1/8" or whatever off an edge.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
63BGT66: you say how you created new inserts, but then say you gave up on the wood grain because they did not fit. Why create the inserts if you are not using the woodgrain?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I didn't say I did not use woodgrain. The woodgrain appliques that are currently available do not fit the inserts..new or originals. The ash try applique is to small. Both of the long appliques for either side of the console are to short. The glove compartment applique fits, but there is very little room for error. The applique for the left side of the console in front of the shift plate fits with enough left over for trimming.
I spent about three month searching for the correct woodgrain in bulk. What I found was walnut woodgrain that was inexpensive, but would not match the guage and glove box woodgrain..or I found the correct 3M Di-Noc, which had a minimum order amount that would make the project almost as expensive as that vendor you did not mention with those expensive pieces.

Here's what you should learn from my diatribe
Aluminum inserts are easy to make
Woodgrain kit probably won't fit
Tony is a real nice guy to deal with....and he might just help you with woodgrain that fits

Let me add that I was having to use repro long/shift plates as well as repro glove box door and ashtry. Except for the glove box door the other parts suck at best. So it's not beyoud reason that my applique fit problems are due to horrible reproduction console plates.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
The last one of these I did I sanded down the camera case finish till I got it smooth.Spray the backside of the woodgrain and the new smooth surface with 3M adhesive and carefully put in place.You can work out any bubbles with various plastic squeeges.This was a year ago and I haven't heard that it came off or loose from the guy that bought the car.If you can spray Weldwood contact cement I guarntee it will stick.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How strange it is that this area is so neglected by vendors. There appears to be only two vendors - the $17 cheap vinyl appliqué, which I just bought from CJ Pony, or the expensive metal-backed woodgrain inserts from Tony. Is there just not enough demand?

·
Registered
680 Posts
It would be better if the vendors would offer an un-cut woodgrain applique. I still have my original metal inserts to use a patterns in case I have to make more later. If you need some patterns lets me know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
63BGT66 - It would be immensely helpful to get patterns! I just got the vinyl appliques in the mail and can instantly see they will not match right up. It's a real head-scratcher to figure how to make templates, so having them would great.

I am weighing whether to buy a full set of wood grain console top trim pieces (used) that are currently on EBay for about $100 and just be done, or go through the challenge of doing it myself with the appliques and templates. If you PM me, we can talk more about shipping/mailing. Thanks very much!

BB

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
..or I found the correct 3M Di-Noc, which had a minimum order amount that would make the project almost as expensive as that vendor you did not mention with those expensive pieces....

Could you please let me know what is the 3M Di-Noc you found? WG-####

Thank you in advance

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Incredible! Haven't heard of Di Noc in many many many years! Di Noc was what Ford used in the 40s to do wood grain on stamped steel parts, mainly on interior and fake wood station wagon parts.

Slim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts