Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Your dates are a little off.

The Mustang became a legend on April 17, 1964.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
First, Mary Ann. Having owned a 67 Mustang as the wife's daily driver through the 90's and now a 65 as a toy, the 67 was a more refined-ish car but the Mustangs iconic status had already been established.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
Just totaled it up. Of the discernible mustang body types in that video, 23 were fastbacks, 8 were verts, only 5 hardtop/coupes. A totally out of whack and slanted representation to the actual production numbers of each type from '65-'68. It was the '65/66 coupes that caused the vast majority of desire and frenzy, and made it a legend. Some people seem to forget that.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
20191130_105215.jpg
'nuff said.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
The title of the video is the main cause of confusion. It readily admits the Mustang was already a sale phenomena from 64-66. The videos main premise is that 67-68 made it a performance legend too.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
As the current owner of a 65 and 67 coupe:

The 65 is close to a 20k car, the 67 is close to a 8k car.

The 65 is manual disc/drum/289/C4/PS/AC

The 67 is power drum/200/C4 and maybe someday EAPS/AC

I prefer the 67 because its a tad bigger and Im a tad bigger than I used to be. I like the rear end better. I like the room under the hood, especially with a 200 - soon to be 250.

To each his/her/non-binary own.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Long something that bugged me slightly. Wanton use of "legend"

Legend
noun:
1. A traditional story
2. An extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field
3. An inscription, especially on a coin or medal.

People don't seem to mind stretching #2 to include manufactured products instead of people. I know, I know, it's just me.

Reactions: JSHarvey

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
GypsyR:

Legend is a very versatile word. Perhaps "iconic" is a better word to use when describing the Mustang.

As a sailor, a legend to me is a list of symbols on a chart and their definition.

As a traditional story, doesnt a legend have to be from the past, not the present or future?

As in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", legend is about a place, not a person or thing.

Legend can also be a transitive verb, as in the telling of the story.

Reactions: GypsyR

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Long something that bugged me slightly. Wanton use of "legend"

Legend
noun:
1. A traditional story
2. An extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field
3. An inscription, especially on a coin or medal.

People don't seem to mind stretching #2 to include manufactured products instead of people. I know, I know, it's just me.
I learned a lot of my woodworking, fabrication, lathe and mill skills from a crusty ole' geezer who was really talented but hated to be called an expert. He that told me his definition of an "exspurt".
An "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
Many of the design team members of the 1st generation Mustang (1964.5 to 1970) have readily admitted they were "less than enthusiastic " about the proportions of the '67 to '70 models.

Specifically they were referring to the the bodies getting longer and wider, while the WHEELBASE stayed at 108", the same as the '64.5 to '66 years. They had lobbied for an increase in wheelbase spacing to proportionally match the other dimensional increases.

Alas, the accountting department overruled the designers. And that, is the "rest of the story..."

Z

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Just totaled it up. Of the discernible mustang body types in that video, 23 were fastbacks, 8 were verts, only 5 hardtop/coupes. A totally out of whack and slanted representation to the actual production numbers of each type from '65-'68. It was the '65/66 coupes that caused the vast majority of desire and frenzy, and made it a legend. Some people seem to forget that.
While playing with numbers, only 16.6% of Mustangs built from 1964 through the 1970 model year were fastbacks, with almost half of the fastbacks produced in 1969/1970. I got my first Mustang experience in a 67/68 fastback that belonged to my foster sister's boyfriend. However, my actually driving/cruising experiences in a Mustang were in my best friend's 64.5 6 cylinder coupe. When I bought my first and only Mustang, I just happen to luck into it as I was just looking for a Mustang to buy, be it a coupe, fastback, or convertible. Don't ask me why I'm rambling on about this...things are slow right now and I'm playing with numbers.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Perhaps "iconic" is a better word to use when describing the Mustang.
"Iconic" or "an icon" works great for me. "Legend" and "legendary" have just been way overused in what little news/media I read lately.

·
Super Moderator
10,062 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts