1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all.

Ive had this car for 3 years now - and since I finally have more than
500 miles on the engine rebuild, I am finally doing my first oil change.

I decided to do it myself...

Drained the old oil. Looked dark, but nothing odd floating in it.

Took off the old filter. Needed a filter wrench to break it loose.

Put the plug back in. Filled up the filter with new oil. Smeared a
little bit on the filter gasket... screwed it on.

Before I go any further - it occurs to me I dunno how tight to screw the
filter back on.

When I took the old one off with the wrench, it caved in. I don't want to
do that to the new one, so I screwed it on by hand.

Should I turn it until I cant go any farther, or just until it is fairly
tight?

Feeling like a newbie, :eek:

-Zim

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
The FL-1A carton instructs that you turn it 3/4-turn after you feel the rubber seal contact the engine block. I usually mark the bottom of the filter at each quadrant with I, II, III, and IV, then I can more accurately see how much further I have to turn it. Good luck and have fun! ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
I usually do finger tight, then 1/4-1/2 turn extra. I've yet to have leaks.

·
Premium Member
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!

-Zim

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Woe is you if you ever try to remove one that some idiot has tightened with a wrench! I had to destroy the can part, then take a punch and hammer and keep pounding on the screw on part until it finally moved alittle, then a little more, etc. until it came off. Whew, took about an hour to do a 10 min. job. ::

G

·
I hear ya on that one. Got a free oil change on my Tahoe at the Chev dealer. Next oil change which I always do myself the dang filter must have been put on with a wrench. Started to collapse with a oil strap around it. I was going to give up but with one more twist with my Popeye fore-arms :: it slowly came off.
Never again will I go for a oil change even if it is free.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
If it looks like this when you remove it, you know you installed it too tight last time.

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/FAN-A014.jpg

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
ooo yeah , make sure to get rid of them damn seals that will stick to the block ... and DAMN nick... what the hell did you use to get that filter out? a friggen jackhammer or what haha..."snugging" it on works for me ! no leaks thus far ... god, i think ive done about 5 oil changes in the last month ... i had changed my oil, then the pump went out, switched that and had to put all ne woil in again , then had to change my gf's stangs oil ... ok maybe only 3, but still too many !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.