Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sig Pic

Stupid Question of the Day

The picture in my sig line is tiny compared to many here. It used to be larger. Every time I try to change it, using a photo stored on a remote server, it tells me that anything bigger than what I have is too big.

How do I fix this?

It doesn't need to be gigantic, but something bigger than a postage stamp would be nice.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Simple if you got a photobucket or online photo storage. Click on the share button then copy link to clipboard and when that option opens up either double click or right click to save the link that says img. Then once u do that goto your user comp on vmf and click on sig and then u hit paste and bam u got a big pic of your stang in ur sig

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Are you trying to put it in the signature as an attachment? If so, that's your problem. You need to paste in the link to the picture itself using the "insert image" button (looks like a square yellow box with a mountain and a sun in it). It will ask for the URL to the picture, which you paste in from your actual picture URL. Should do it for ya.

Edit: Ah, I see what you did! Don't use the 'upload signature picture' feature, it will do that little picture. Instead use the insert image feature in the main text body of the signature (like you would as if you were posting a picture in a thread). In case you're not familiar with that, here's a basic photo embedding tutorial that I put together for VMFers :)

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
The software used to accept any size photo for a sig pic and then resize it dynamically on load. It doesn't do that anymore because it still needed to load some very large photos EVERYTIME which is a bandwidth hog. So the answer to your question lies in the fact that a rule change regarding sig pic size was put in several years ago.....but unless you go into the sig pic interface and update your sig pic...the old one still works but isn't resized anymore. We mods went around a poked/prodded that 'largest' offenders (to use a pun) when the change first happened but there are still several sig around with large images (but none that are 1,000 pixels by 5,000 pixels) like we had for a while.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The software used to accept any size photo for a sig pic and then resize it dynamically on load. It doesn't do that anymore because it still needed to load some very large photos EVERYTIME which is a bandwidth hog. So the answer to your question lies in the fact that a rule change regarding sig pic size was put in several years ago.....but unless you go into the sig pic interface and update your sig pic...the old one still works but isn't resized anymore. We mods went around a poked/prodded that 'largest' offenders (to use a pun) when the change first happened but there are still several sig around with large images (but none that are 1,000 pixels by 5,000 pixels) like we had for a while.
That explains it.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
No worries, glad to help :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been trying to figure that same thing out, for a dang long time. Thank you. And thank goodness I'm not in IT for a living. (I am...but a networking engineer, staring at DOS style interfaces all day long...)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the information Kelly! This thread was timely for me as I was about to create a signature when I found this thread.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had the same issue at first but if you have the photo hosted at Photobucket, edit the image width. Mine now is set at "300px" wide (mine at first was 667px wide) and resize if needed if you still think it's still too big. Make your judgement from there for how wide you'd like.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts