Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a freshman in highschool and I've been searching for a classic mustang to restore for a while. On my way to school my bus passes by a house that has a mustang sitting on a trailer (I think it's from 65-66). How would I approach the owners of this car to ask if they would sell it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
I put a note on the windshield once with my phone number. The guy texted me back after one day. Unfortunately the car was not for sale.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
you shouldn't

Tango, as a classic Mustang owner, I would recommend that you don't. when my car was visible, it was NOT for sale, there was nothing to suggest it was, yet people would constantly come up to the house and ask if they could buy it. I usually just said no. Some folks persist and want to play 'name your price', I said 50K . Some offered 500 to 1K, because 'thats all its worth' to them. I told them good luck with their search.

I would look for cars that are for sale if I were you. Ford made hundreds of thousands of them. there has to be some for sale near you. LSG

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've had 3 different 65 mustangs over the past 35 years and not once has a person asked if one of them was for sale. I say just simply stop by and ask, even if its not for sale some people like to talk cars and you might get a lead on another. I sort of think any person who would get uptight over a teenager showing interest in a classic car by asking if its for sale should seek therapy.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would simply knock on the door and introduce myself, tell them how you found them, and tell them you like classic mustangs and ask if you could ask questions about the Mustang. Eventually it will lead to whether it is for sale or not and if it not for sale, they may lead you to another...

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I say go for it, just be polite and courteous.

I just found a 66 that way for my buddy.
I’ve had 4-5 people literally stop and ask me if my 68 FB is for sale.
I don’t mind.

·
Super Moderator
8,860 Posts
I would simply knock on the door and introduce myself, tell them how you found them, and tell them you like classic mustangs and ask if you could ask questions about the Mustang. Eventually it will lead to whether it is for sale or not and if it not for sale, they may lead you to another...

Let us know how it goes.
You beat me to it!! This ^^^^^

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I've had 3 different 65 mustangs over the past 35 years and not once has a person asked if one of them was for sale. I say just simply stop by and ask, even if its not for sale some people like to talk cars and you might get a lead on another. I sort of think any person who would get uptight over a teenager showing interest in a classic car by asking if its for sale should seek therapy.

Let us know how it goes.
i agree with these guys, if you see a mustang, o any car for that matter that you might be able to afford, just go talk to them. i have had people leave notes on my mustang, or just come up and ask me if the car was for sale, and how much i would sell it for. dont be that guy though that pesters the owner to sell when they have told you several times its not for sale though.

i have had a few people do that to me, and i would finally tell them that i would sell it, but that i wanted a high price for it. when they said how much i said start putting $100 bills into my hand, and when it feels heavy enough the car is yours. they woudl invariably ask how heavy it would have to be and i said about 100lbs of $100 bills would do the trick.

but dont be afraid to talk to owners of classic cars, often times we are more than willing to talk about our cars, some of us will talk your ears off given the chance. just be cordial when you do approach us.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
First, do you have the funds to purchase the car? If you low ball, you might offend the owner. If you do have the funds, leave a note on the windshield and let them know a little about yourself like you're a freshman... and you would like to know if the Mustang is for sale. If you decide to knock on the door, that's more personal and may pay off unless the owner meet you at the door with a shotgun.

I get people pulling up on me in their beater and ask if I want to sell my car. That approach is a turnoff for me.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I say go for it, just be polite and courteous.

I just found a 66 that way for my buddy.
I’ve had 4-5 people literally stop and ask me if my 68 FB is for sale.
I don’t mind.

You beat me to it!! This ^^^^^
I asked the owner of my Shelby every year for 3-4 years (once per year) if he wanted or was ready to sell. He always said no. The next year I had purchased my 69 Mach 1 and did not contact the Shelby owner. Instead, he contacted me. If I had not been so polite, but persistent, he might not have. But when it came time for him to sell it, he said I was the one he wanted to sell it to. He knew it would be in good hands. Well, here I am 38 years later and am just getting it on the road. Not sure if that is what he had in mind, but I think he would be happy to see it now.

Proof that it can't hurt to knock on the door. Be polite, courteous. Don't go near the car unless you are taken over to it.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
First, do you have the funds to purchase the car? If you low ball, you might offend the owner. If you do have the funds, leave a note on the windshield and let them know a little about yourself like you're a freshman... and you would like to know if the Mustang is for sale. If you decide to knock on the door, that's more personal and may pay off unless the owner meet you at the door with a shotgun.

I get people pulling up on me in their beater and ask if I want to sell my car. That approach is a turnoff for me.
I drove past the Shelby as I went to a friends house that was on a dead end street. I drove my 1969 GT to my friend's house, but walked with my friend to the house the Shelby was at. I am sure the Shelby owner figured out I was the owner of the 69 GT, and that helped.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Leaving a note is probably a good start. I wouldn't be offended if someone knocked on my door and asked. Like people have said, most classic car owners love to tell the story about their cars and I'm sure would get a kick out of you generation showing interest in classic mustangs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Next time you pass just stop and knock I’m sure he’ll be glad to talk and maybe it’s for sale at that age I was talking to everyone who had stuff that I was interested in made a good first impression and was able to get some help on stuff I was working on most people are pretty friendly in that situation just wanting to talk about our cars

·
Registered
20,065 Posts
As long as you're respectful I don't see anything wrong with knocking at the door. Present your interest in classic Mustangs. Learn a little bit about classic Mustangs first so you'll sound like you have a specific interest in Mustangs. maybe go along the lines by saying if you ever want to sell the Mustang, let me know. Don't come off sounding like you're going to make wild modifications but rather that you appreciate the car for what it is and how it is, meaning basically stock. Otherwise you could come across with a lack of respect of how the current owner viewed the car.

Don't bite off more then you can chew. I was in your shoes once, being e teenager in HS. Do you have a place to put the car? Can you get the car home? I would always forget these two.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I agree with the others, you won't know if you don't ask. Even if they are not ready to sell now, things change and at least they know you are interested. Leave your contact info if they will take.

You didn't say what model it is and obviously you haven't looked at it up close to know the condition, but I suggest you do a little research to get an idea of what similar model mustangs are selling for. Then evaluate whether you have the funds to purchase. Granted the owner may say its for sale and not want market price, but you don't want to waste their time either.

Good luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have to tell you, it is really refreshing to hear of a "younger generation" who is interested in our classic mustangs. The majority of younger people I see at car shows or cruises are walking behind his/her parents with their face in some type of device oblivious to what is around them. Absolutely leave a note or knock on the door and introduce yourself. If the owner is any type of gearhead, they will gladly talk to you and probably even show you the car.....I would..!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
i would not ring any bells. it may suggest to the guy that you're casing the place.

if a 16 yo rang my bell i would not take it seriously and be a bit suspicious.
a note in the mail box is good enough.

if he bites show up with an adult so he knows you are serious and have the funds

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stop and ask, worst case they say no, but be gracious and you might make a good contact and/or get a lead on another car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do your research of what the car is worth so you're prepared on what you're willing to pay
Approach with a smile and a firm handshake
Brag on the car and explain your "vision" for it, you approached him, DO NOT degrade the car
Try to not make the first offer (ever in business)
If he/she says no, be polite and ask them if you can leave name/number should they change their mind
Leave with another firm handshake and a thank you for your time

·
Registered
626 Posts
With your budget, I suggest stopping by and asking. If you are luck, you could catch someone outside and start talking about the Mustang. You can start the conversation with, nice car. How long have you had it? What are your intentions with it? I have been looking for a classic Mustang. Any chance you are interested in selling it?

All that typical, get them talking about the car, type of stuff

1 - 20 of 38 Posts