Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my pile of parts from NPD to install a new top on my vert. Watched a video umpteen times and read three different articles on how to install. No problem for me! Until I get the parts and can't even figure out how to attach the #4 bow tacking strip? the new bow is some kind of hard rubber. The old strip was stapled into the metal. I do not think my staple gun will have enough force to do that. Does any one have any suggestions? I am thinking of pop rivits which I know I can use for the front bow, but don't like the idea of them showing underneath. And I do realize some will say to take it to an upholstery shop, which I still may do for the top, but I was hoping to at least get the tacking strips installed myself to save a little money, not to mention the ability to say I did part of the job.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Tacking strips were not available when I did my top. I filled in the damaged area with black windshield adhesive. The stuff took the new staples through the top great. If it wont let a windshield fall out it definately will hold your new tack strip to the bow... I suggest getting a caulking gun size tube for it...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a great idea. I might combine that with the strip I have to cement it into place.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was told to use the rubber trim molding that runs down the side of the car. I bought it at Autozone for less than $10. I peeled the paper off the back and stuck it in place, let it dry and then tacked into it. Worked fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts