Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
As far as what turned me to the 70 mustang (coupe):

1. It was for sale close and had a clean title
2. I like the body style, it’s extremely clean looking. I really like the “vents” (they really aren’t vents) near the headlights. I think they are super unique looking.
3. The car just screams aggressive. It can be taken in so many ways design wise.
4. I like the updated features a 70 has. Bolt in glass is a big plus and while it can be added to older years I already have it.
5. This really applies to all mustangs. I really like how light they are.
6. I feel a connection to mustangs as a family member who recently passed away restored them. According to those there some of his last words were regrets that he was unable to help me throughout my build. (Sounds wushu washy but hey)
All very informative and should give us all a better perspective on where you are as far as your car is concerned.

Yeah, wishy washy, but I'll give you a pass, this time...Motivation comes from a plethora of places!!

Allen

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
He is probably making assumptions based on his college experience which is probably more common than yours. Many of us (who are aren't geniuses), went to college for four years and got a degree. Many of our parents really struggled to put us through school. Some parents just could not do it. We studied hard and worked one or two jobs to try and keep the student loans to a minimum. And yes, when we had time, we played hard. I went to a small school. I would say that 75% of the kids did not have a car at school.

So, I would not take offense at his post. Just "chill."
I don’t claim to be a genius I just got lucky with the decisions I made. Granted I took advantage of dual enrollment and scholarships.I work hard for it too like you guys did. But you can’t be mad at me because I’m not in the same exact situation you were in however many years ago.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
All very informative and should give us all a better perspective on where you are as far as your car is concerned.

Yeah, wishy washy, but I'll give you a pass, this time...Motivation comes from a plethora of places!!

Allen
Good good.

In your situation, that is the very least of your concerns!

Allen
why are you right about this? :)
This is why I’m here so you can smack some dang sense into me. Haha

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don’t claim to be a genius I just got lucky with the decisions I made. Granted I took advantage of dual enrollment and scholarships.I work hard for it too like you guys did. But you can’t be mad at me because I’m not in the same exact situation you were in however many years ago.
Unfortunately, many years ago.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'll say the 8" is good to probably 350 hp. Some will limit it to 300 hp and won't get any arguments from me. Unless you are really just straight thrashing it, put your concerns elsewhere, especially with a stock-ish 302.

Allen
Ok thank you will do. I’m not a hp junky at all. Not that it’s bad i love hp ;)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I'll say the 8" is good to probably 350 hp. Some will limit it to 300 hp and won't get any arguments from me. Unless you are really just straight thrashing it, put your concerns elsewhere, especially with a stock-ish 302.

Allen
Whats the worst that could happen?

;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You are the one who said you have a hard budget. I think everyone here is just trying to help you so you should grow some thicker skin if your gonna ask for help on the internet.

That being said, I would spend my money on a NEW carb,hei style one wire dizzy.New plugs,wires etc.Fresh oil n filter,prime oil pump .
Drop trans pan,check for chunks and burnt oil. Put in fresh oil and filter. New fuel lines and filter. Cross your fingers and hope it don't knock and the tranny don't slip. that's all I can tell ya.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
You are the one who said you have a hard budget. I think everyone here is just trying to help you so you should grow some thicker skin if your gonna ask for help on the internet.

That being said, I would spend my money on a NEW carb,hei style one wire dizzy.New plugs,wires etc.Fresh oil n filter,prime oil pump .
Drop trans pan,check for chunks and burnt oil. Put in fresh oil and filter. New fuel lines and filter. Cross your fingers and hope it don't knock and the tranny don't slip. that's all I can tell ya.
I’m just going to ignore that first part and move straight to the second where I shall say... thank you.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Stop your scaring me.

Lol if it happens it’ll be a cool story but I don’t want people to get hurt because of it. I’m definitely going to have to be careful a keep my hp to a minimum until I can upgrade that rear end.
It was at a launch at an autocross. No harm no foul. Had a serious wheel hop issue. Regardless, more power, more breaking stuff! Having learned this I now trailer my car to events.

No bang at all. Just a no go after the first few feet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
It was at a launch at an autocross. No harm no foul. Had a serious wheel hop issue. Regardless, more power, more breaking stuff! Having learned this I now trailer my car to events.

No bang at all. Just a no go after the first few feet.
No bang? Wow that’s crazy. I would have expected it to be so loud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1. Complete any structural metal work the correct way. (I'm sure you will anyway.)

2. Do the best you can on the rest of the body work that fits your budget. You can get a 20ft paint job with a cheap spray gun an spraying it outside.

3. I'd do the disk upgrade in the front, keep drums in the back. Make sure the steering/suspension is tight an just replace parts that are worn an loose which you can buy cheap at your local parts store.

4. Keep the 8" it's the little brother to the 9" an is a great rear diff. I can't say for sure the max HP so to speak but for what you have it will hold up just fine.

5. Source as much used and new- used stuff an hit the swap meets.

6. I'd go with your 5.0 an go through the engine an just spruce it up. I.E.; hone, bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. Northern Auto Parts is super cheap on rering kits an master kits.

7. If you got a used Holley for cheap, rebuild it, play with it, and learn from it.

8. Nothing wrong with the C4. Northern Auto Parts has the best prices on rebuild kits for those too. Buy the book with the kit an follow it an do it yourself. Only problem is buying the special tools as needed so you'll have to look at that cost.

9. What you save money on will let you spend more on other areas. Such as if it's in your budget you could maybe have a body shop spray your car instead or upgrade X or...

10. It's not a show car, but it's gonna be YOUR car an that's what matters spite what others think or say. So make it safe, an yours, as you'll learn a lot. All of us started somewhere an most likey would be embarrassed if we saw our first attempts at restoring a car. It's easy for a person to forgot our first car repairs we did, or the enthusiasm of a first project, or the energy an optimism in our eyes when we first gazed upon a first project-good for you, keep that going as that keeps us going to see that. However, I'd also remind my younger self as to not burn any bridges either. :) You have my number from our previous conversation, feel free to message me with any questions as I'm happy to help if I can.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
1. Complete any structural metal work the correct way. (I'm sure you will anyway.)

2. Do the best you can on the rest of the body work that fits your budget. You can get a 20ft paint job with a cheap spray gun an spraying it outside.

3. I'd do the disk upgrade in the front, keep drums in the back. Make sure the steering/suspension is tight an just replace parts that are worn an loose which you can buy cheap at your local parts store.

4. Keep the 8" it's the little brother to the 9" an is a great rear diff. I can't say for sure the max HP so to speak but for what you have it will hold up just fine.

5. Source as much used and new- used stuff an hit the swap meets.

6. I'd go with your 5.0 an go through the engine an just spruce it up. I.E.; hone, bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. Northern Auto Parts is super cheap on rering kits an master kits.

7. If you got a used Holley for cheap, rebuild it, play with it, and learn from it.

8. Nothing wrong with the C4. Northern Auto Parts has the best prices on rebuild kits for those too. Buy the book with the kit an follow it an do it yourself. Only problem is buying the special tools as needed so you'll have to look at that cost.

9. What you save money on will let you spend more on other areas. Such as if it's in your budget you could maybe have a body shop spray your car instead or upgrade X or...

10. It's not a show car, but it's gonna be YOUR car an that's what matters spite what others think or say. So make it safe, an yours, as you'll learn a lot. All of us started somewhere an most likey would be embarrassed if we saw our first attempts at restoring a car. It's easy for a person to forgot our first car repairs we did, or the enthusiasm of a first project, or the energy an optimism in our eyes when we first gazed upon a first project-good for you, keep that going as that keeps us going to see that. However, I'd also remind my younger self as to not burn any bridges either. :) You have my number from our previous conversation, feel free to message me with any questions as I'm happy to help if I can.
It means a lot for you to chime in. I really respect your quality of your work. Thank you for the extremely helpful information. And you can be sure I will let you know if I run into a block. You have already helped way more than you can imagine.

As far as burning bridges go,Your right I should be more careful :)

61 - 80 of 176 Posts