Vintage Mustang Forums banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
He is absolutely right...I have(mostly) finished the metal work at almost 300 hours and have only recently moved on to modification. I don't know how extensive your metal work would be...but I had floorpans the entire way, cowl, trunk floor, both quarters, fender aprons, front crossmember, and tailight panel(there were some bracing mods in there as well)...parts alone have run at least a couple thousand at this point...plus the $2200 for the car itself....probably another $3000 in mechanical stuff coming...and $2000 in paint and body(doing it myself) will put me in the car around $9500 best case scenario(more realistically $15000)...I could go out and buy a good driver coupe for that easy with very little wrong with it. That is money alone and doesnt touch time involved. If I took that 500 hours and worked side jobs at $20/hr...that is close to $20,000-$25,000 invested(or $15,000-$20,000 with $10/hr side jobs, depends on what you value your time at) so from a pure monetary perspective it makes far more sense to buy a finished car(or at least one with minimal work needed). It is different if you look at it as a hobby and entertainment(which is what it is to me...I get more enjoyment solving problems working on my mustang than say watching Netflix)
Same for me, it’s about enjoyment and learning.

As for a lot of the other commenters who stated they would change shells, good for you guys. Apparently I should have stated more clearly that I was not looking into that option and would not look into that option at all.

Thank you though, because now I sure as hell am not giving up.

·
Super Moderator
8,860 Posts
Seems he’s enjoying the odds that he’s placed on his board longevity.

·
Administrator
19,425 Posts
Those who strive to fail shall succeed every time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow everyone... I wonder if the OP had any idea what he was starting with this thread

To the OP - don’t let this thread fool you, there really are a tone of helpful and kind people on this forum. Get to work on that thing and don’t be afraid to post questions - there is a lot of knowledge here (and opinions obviously).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Wow everyone... I wonder if the OP had any idea what he was starting with this thread

To the OP - don’t let this thread fool you, there really are a tone of helpful and kind people on this forum. Get to work on that thing and don’t be afraid to post questions - there is a lot of knowledge here (and opinions obviously).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had no idea at all that it would blow up like this.

I’ve learned a lot from this thread though. It wouldn’t make sense for me to ditch the forum just because a few people have opinions I don’t agree with.

They’ll have to kick me out to get rid of me. (It’s a joke lol)

·
Administrator
12,999 Posts
This reminds me of the guy who wanted to clean his old gas tank out and almost everyone said buy another one. He kept going and going and going on how he wanted to just clean the old one instead of getting a new one.
Stan

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had no idea at all that it would blow up like this.

I’ve learned a lot from this thread though. It wouldn’t make sense for me to ditch the forum just because a few people have opinions I don’t agree with.

They’ll have to kick me out to get rid of me. (It’s a joke lol)
Seriously? None at all? Even after your "Best mod for safety" post?
I had already determined not to interact with you after that. But a fellow member here once told me of the new and improved version of himself, and I decided to take a leaf outta his book, and try it myself. So I gave you A chance.

My opinion was for your benefit .... not mine. The vast majority of replies have been for your benefit also. If I go to a forum looking for opinions that match mine, I'd never learn anything.
I hope, for your benefit, that you have learned a lot from this thread, though I sorta doubt it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
And now to come full circle and truly answer the question "How to avoid a money pit". One word:

I know mine has gone WAY beyond money pit, into a realm more like a black hole that few outside of this "car" obsession we all have can ever understand.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Wow, the first thing I would advise is to STOP responding to any thread that doesn't answer a question you have asked about your car. You do not have to explain yourself or answer to anyone's admonishments. If someone tells you to sell it and buy another car, or get off your computer - skip to the next post, don't even finish reading it if you don't like the angle. You have been clear about your intentions. If people get frustrated with a response, it does NOT require you to respond - believe me when I say, it will make your life here much more productive and save you a lot of frustration. In summary, only respond to positive information that helps you, as woodchuck says, let the rest roll off your back...

There is quite a bit of good information here. Personally, getting back to your original post, as a college student, I would assemble the car and get it driving with the components you have and save the restoration for when you get out and are rich. A beater Mustang for college is a great story. Who needs to worry about drunk frat boys or barf in the back seat, its COLLEGE, go have fun! This includes keeping drum brakes - just remember to lift occasionally to let em cool for a few seconds on really long steep grades so they don't over heat and gently ride them through deep puddles with your left foot to keep the water out. Finally know they will not work well after an automated car wash, be prepared to stomp till the water clears. MOST of us would not be here in America if drum brakes killed, our forefathers would never have made it, mothers, teenagers all survived 'em, you can too.

• Get the brakes in good order
  • rebuild the front end
  • Strip the motor to the long block and install everything from the old motor, e.g. timing cover, water pump pullies alternator etc
  • Install the motor, trans and rear end all with new oil with new mounts and u-joints, they're cheap
  • GO driving, then start tinkering with things you don't like.
  • Search Rat Pack and patina on this site for fun - join the brotherhood.
  • Try to avoid modifying good wiring, its the most common mistake new vintage car owners make, if the wiring is good, be gentle and try to preserve it.
  • Woodchuck, the Gypsy, Kelly-H, Huskinhano and 2nd22 are virtually always attitude free and should be read carefully.
Start watching craigslist, the classifieds here and go to car swap meets. its the best way to save $$$. Sell things you decide not to use on CL or here to fund the next thing. Find a local Mustang club, every driving Mustang has a garage full of parts behind it. People love to help a brother out - there is a billion used Holly's on shelves...

Remember this is supposed to be fun, any post that is not fun should be ignored, as soon as you read attitude, skip to the next one. I hardly read anything in 9 pages due to all the attitude. I'm here for fun you should be too!

Good luck brother,

M

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This reminds me of the guy who wanted to clean his old gas tank out and almost everyone said buy another one. He kept going and going and going on how he wanted to just clean the old one instead of getting a new one.
Stan
I did that once in my old Celica RA29('77 Liftback). Cleaning and sealing that gas tank with some POR-15 product remains to this day one of the most miserable automotive experiences of my life. Of course...I didn't have any choice on that car since there were no new tanks available...but I did learn I never want to do that again.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
And now to come full circle and truly answer the question "How to avoid a money pit". One word:

View attachment 737515

I know mine has gone WAY beyond money pit, into a realm more like a black hole that few outside of this "car" obsession we all have can ever understand.
You keep on using that word I do not think it means what you think it means.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts