Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of a car I purchased was called by a commission man to sell his car claiming he has a rare car- How do you get specific details on VIN's such as "one of six made for a special buyer" Or is this just a typical sales pitch to get the car listed? If it's for real I'd like to know how to find out the real story. Tom

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
+1 what Bryan said

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Bryan's right on the first step, you can get a rush Marti report for '67 and later cars faxed to you pretty quickly.
Another potential sign is in the DSO, if you still have your original door tag. Standard DSOs are two digits, special orders (such as special colors, etc.) would get a 6 digit code, corresponding to the order. If you have a two digit DSO, see if it was a plant code, i.e., internal delivery to Ford.
People on here are also quite knowledgable, simply describing your car could give some insight into what the "purchaser" may be thinking of. I haven't heard of too many "1 of 6's", but that doesn't mean you don't have one. Get all the info you can before negotiating with the guy, its better for you to have more info than he does, not vice versa. There are rare cars in hiding out there, think of the 1 of 2 '69 Shelby coded Boss 302s, the only '71 Boss 302 (which popped up about two years ago), etc.

Carl

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm getting worn out by the constant "1 of ....." displays, most notable on Ebay. It's a transparent way of trying to make a particular Mustang seem like it is exclusive. Fact is millions of these were made. So what if a car is 1 of 33 made in x color and automatic transmission with power brakes and the interior decor option with AM radio?

Boss 302? exclusive. K Code 65 vert? Nice. Ferrari GTO? rare

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Before you go spending money on the Marti report, how about just list your VIN (minus the last six digits if it makes you feel better) and what's on the door tag? I'm sure the people here can tell you if it is worth pursuing further or not just from that info.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Some people like the feeling of have "one of five 67 convertibles in Burnt Amber with parchment bench seat, manual top, and ash tray light". I figure it's fun and doesn't hurt anybody. Besides, Kevin has to do something to make his service more fun. Straight statistics are pretty dry;

[BTW, I'm making these numbers up]
12,905 with red paint
27,901 with black interior

Doesn't tell you how many cars were red with black interior. Boring.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Red + black standard A-code '67 vert, nice car, nothing unusual.

Sounds like a broker trying to drum up business.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
It's kind of annoying when everyone seems to want that "rare" Mustangs, but since cars back in those days had options a la carte, not in "convenience groups", it was easy for Mustangs to be unique, despite their high sales numbers. The original Cabbage Patch Kids dolls were allegedly all one of a kind, because they all had minor differences in various combinations.

If anyone wants a one of a low number 65 or 66, all they need to do is pick up an odd option at a swap meet, like a remote trunk release, and add it to their car.

John

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Red + black standard A-code '67 vert, nice car, nothing unusual.

Sounds like a broker trying to drum up business.

Ditto

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Limited slip 3.00, 4 speed, 4 barrel 289 in a popular color, though I'll never understand a black interior in a convertible. Sounds like a nice car. I had to look for quite a while to find my 4 speed vert, and Marti's nubers bore out why. Glad I gave up on finding the K code 4 speed vert I originally started searching for - only 34 of them. Rare? No, but heavy on the curb appeal. What other options do you have? Power steering, power brakes, power top, Convenience control panel, Console, AM/FM 8-track, Blinker hood, Styled Steel wheels, Flip down gas cap, Tach dash, in door speakers and/or safety lights?

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Actually, I have seen very, very few A code 67's. The 4-speed, Equalock rear, and convertble top are just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
The number Marti gives for the Convertible A code 4 speeds is just under 1000. 929 IIRC (just because I was looking at the book last night).

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
My 73 is the only one built with HEAVY DUTY muffler bearings. They never wear out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts